problem with the hammer?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
dirtlord420

problem with the hammer?

Post by dirtlord420 »

am new here. the problem with my gun is i dont think the hammer is hitting the firing pin all the way. i do get a light primmer strike. i just cleaned it out by the hammer with break cleaner. still had cosmoline in it. i took the firing pin out and cleaned all that out. its moving freely.
dirtlord420

Re: problem with the hammer?

Post by dirtlord420 »

also something different about mine. the frame is textured. its made in 68. also i dont see many with the thumb rest on the grip.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome to The Brotherhood. We hope you enjoy your time here.
Textured frame?? I have never ever heard or seen a P-64 with ANYTHING but a polished blued frame. Please post pictures!!
As for the light strikes, is your firing pin the right length or has the tip been broken off? One way to tell is take a yellow #2 school pencil and insert it down the barrel with the muzzle stright up and then, this is assuming you have previously cleared the chamber and checked it twice AND removed the mag, pull the trigger. If the pencil flys out of the barrel, and it should FLY, then your pin is the right length and the hammer is causing it to strike hard enough. If it does not fly strong out of the barrel then I would suspect a weak or incorrectly installed hammer spring, broken firing pin tip or an obstruction in the firing pin channel that is not allowing full travel.
But please post pictures of your textured frame.
And again, welcome.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Oh and the thumb rest is standard for most of the production run. Especially those that have been imported so they can meet the 1968 Gun Control Act as it had a minimum width requirement. :puke:
dirtlord420

Post by dirtlord420 »

dirtlord420

Post by dirtlord420 »

dirtlord420

Post by dirtlord420 »

dirtlord420

Post by dirtlord420 »

awhile back i ordered a new firing pin from a guy off gun broker in poland. my firing pin was longer, so i thought i may have got a bad one. so he sent me another one and it was the same length. for some reason my firing pin is longer. what it looks like the hammer isnt going in far enough to hit the firing pin all the way.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

who did you buy this gun from and was there any mention of pitting on the frame. This looks to me, and I am.not an expert and the photos are not very clear , but it looks as if the grip portion of the grame has had some pretty serious rust on it and is pitted rather badly OR, someone attempted to "stiple" the frame for better grip. If the latter is the case it appears the stippling may have gotten some rust on it or maybe it is catching some color from a nearby surface reflecting light.
And why do you say it appears the hammer is not going far.enough forward? And, which firing pin is.now in the gun, the longer or shorter one? Did you try the pencil experiment? If so what was the result?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum,

Yeah looks like serious rust to me also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

+2 on the serious rust pitting issue.

BTW, I have one for sale. PM me if you are interested.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

+3 on the corrosion and pitting. It may be the cause of the firing pin problem too. A liberal dose of WD-40 and some elbow grease will help end that, IMO.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I also have to say that I think your "original" firing pin is not corrrect for the gun. Since the rust pitting seems to be an issue I wonder if whomever sold it to you had to replace the firing pin because it broke, maybe from dry firing it too much, and used the pin from, say a Walther PPK because unknowers always seem to think parts will interchange, and it is longer than a P64's but is larger in diamteter so it will not protrude far enough out of the breech to ignite your ammo.
My suggestion is to not fire this gun again until it has had a thourogh once over by a good gunsmith and if they give it a thumbs up then resume shooting.
dirtlord420

Post by dirtlord420 »

dirtlord420

Post by dirtlord420 »