P64 Range Report

Info, pictures, advice...
OG17

P64 Range Report

Post by OG17 »

I was able to get some range time today with the 20# hammer spring. If you remember the last time I had the 18# hammer spring on which made the DA nice but the SA was way too light for me. I can say that I didn't find any discernible difference between the 18# and 20# springs in DA, but I did find the SA a bit more controllable. If I start in SA mode, I can control the light SA trigger pull. However, if I start in DA mode the 1st shot is ok but the 2nd one, which is now SA, is way too quick. I can't feel the reset and my finger is pulling the trigger before I know it and it goes BANG. Yet, I can control the 3rd - 5th rounds because I can get my mind on the SA trigger pull.

Here's a thing that happened 2 times. After firing the last round, the slide would lock open as expected. I then inserted a fresh magazine, then slingshot the slide, pulled the trigger and - nothing in DA or SA. I released the magazine, opened the slide and I saw a round in the chamber which then dropped down the mag well after I shook it. The other time I inserted an empty magazine and pulled the slide so it locked. I looked and there was the round in the chamber which then came out the port.

Anyone has had this happen to them before? The only thing that I can think of is that I didn't slingshot it hard enough and the slide didn't go into battery, thus, not allowing the FP to make contact with the brass.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 Range Report

Post by Ketchman »

To the first problem try a 22# if they make one, OR try cutting coils off the stock spring till you get where you want it. I would get hold of another stock spring first though. If your slide did.not go into battery then the trigger should not have worked at all. And if it had not gone into battery then the extractor hook may not have gotten a purchase on the cartridge rim and of course no extraction.
As far as not ejecting, is your extractor hook in one piece and / or working? Check under the hook for debris, possibly dried cosmoline, that stuff gets everywhere. Maybe the extractor spring is broken? That might also account for it. Using a new kind of ammo?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

It wasn't so much extraction because it was a fresh magazine that I inserted when it malfunctioned and all cases ejected after being shot. It worked after I removed the round and reinserted the magazine and slingshot the slide. Don't know. I'm going to try some snap caps and see if I can replicate it.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

If cases aren't coming out of the chamber, either fired or not then either the slide is.not going into battery allowing the extractor to grab the rim or the extractor is not working properly OR broken. Bad news the last. You said one time you had insterted an empty mag and then pulled the slide back to lock and you found a round in the chamber yet the mag you had inserted was empty. One would suppose it was not extracted the last time the slide was in battery, or supposed to be in battery.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Yes, but it was not an expended round. It was one of those that came from a full mag.
Ketch. after shooting my 5 round mag the slide stays open as it should. There are no expended cases in the chamber, it's clear. I release the expended mag, the slide still open, and I insert a fresh mag with 5 rounds in it. Then I slingshot the slide shut, the hammer is cocked, but when I pull the trigger - nada. The trigger moves to the back like if the safety is on but in this case the hammer remains cocked. I wonder if the safety is somehow engaging and not decocking the hammer?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok. But when you pull the slide back to lock why is the round from the full magazine not extracting as it should? Sounds like it is not fully going into battery which would keep the trigger disconnected and the extractor from grabbing the rim. Gope I am not missing the point here about the live round and it's part in this whole picture. Course the safety could be a problem too but I do not know if that would keep it from going into battery. Hey anybody else here got any ideas? Little help here. :hi:
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I think you got it Ketch. Happened with the snap caps as well. Right on the 1st round of the snaps. Pushed the slide forward and it went into battery. One time I was able to eject all the snaps ok. But I had to slingshot it pretty firmly. What internal part is keeping it from going into full battery?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Your chamber may have gunk buildup that is keeping the round from seating fully unless given some extra push. Or you could have cosmoline or some other stuff on the frame rails (not likely but possible) or perhaps your slide hold open has gotten bent somehow and is binding? Or your extractor is suddenly not pivoting correctly and when the slide drops it is giving extra resistance when it tries to snap over the cartridge rim there by keeping the slide from going the last bit into battery?
Anybody else.got.any ideas?
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Or maybe your recoil spring is too light.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Bill, I have the Wolff 22# RS installed.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Changed back to the stock recoil spring and it seems better with the snap caps. Will try out this weekend and see how it goes before buying extractor/ejector. Worst that can happen is that I get another P64, right? :mrgreen:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

before buying an extractor I would recommend cleaning the extractor area very well including possibly removing the extractor hook and spring. I wonder if a piece of something got into it's operating area and is causing problems. And I don't understand how going to a lighter recoil spring solves the problem of not going into battery. But......if it works......... :?
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I don't either, not that it will, but it just seems to work better but won't know until I shoot it. Took out the extractor and cleaned the area around it, the plunger channel, and lightly polished the claw. Let's see what happens next time.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Took it to the range today. No issues with the FTE since I went back to the stock RSA and installed the Wolff 20# mainspring. However, the SA trigger is much too light for my liking in an EDC gun. So sadly it will be only a range gun and maybe a HD BUG unless I can sell it.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Just did the Wolff 22# spring on my new P-64, changed the hammer spring and the firing pin spring at the same time. Installed a PolishIron v.05 grip and went to the range the other day.
I will be shooting mine frequently. It was easy on my hand and besides a few initial jams, once the gun fired, it performed perfectly.
My gun was brand new and never had a round in the chamber until then.
When I got home, the only thing I felt I needed to do was polish the feed ramp to avoid the chances of future jamming.
Perhaps just changing the recoil spring is why you are experiencing problems.