MUCH MO BETTA

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
RoyOdhner

MUCH MO BETTA

Post by RoyOdhner »

Just installed a Wolff 19 pound hammer spring and a 20 pound recoil spring, which arrived yesterday. Watched the video that Scootch did on it, read the threads here, and just did it. Required tools: an inexpensive table top vice from Lowes, a couple of pieces of duct tape to serve as a pad for the vice, a punch, and a paperclip.

I'm not the most mechanically-inclined guy on the planet, but I got it done in under 30 minutes (including watching and pausing Scootch's video and referring to the thread here). Filed down the ends of the recoil spring as suggested, and it seems to function much better - that horrid trigger pull has been greatly tamed. Still stout, but not herneatingly so anymore. Much mo betta feeling trigger, and the mag release seems to be improved a bit. I can hardly wait for the Marschal grips to arrive, and it should be a sweet little EDC once it's all said and done.

Gonna take it out to the range tomorrow morning when I get off work, expend some ordinance, and see if it handles any better. I suspect it's gonna. Breakfast at IHOP, and upgraded P64, and a box (or so) of ammo - Hoo Yah, life don't get much better.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: MUCH MO BETTA

Post by robhic »

Yeah, tough life! :mrgreen: Have fun.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

It is a tough life, but somehow I still manage to trudge onward...

The spring kit made a huge improvement. The trigger pull is still stout, but it's manageable.

The slide bite is still gruesome. I've never experienced anything like it. Not sure if it's just the slide, or if it's an interplay between the slide, hammer, and way the grips are designed. Hopefully the Marchal grips will do the trick.

The magazine I bought from J&G was a nightmare. I can get past the chipped base plate/pinky rest, but it caused stove-pipes/jams so severe that I had to remove the slide to get it cleared. I got to looking at it, and it looks like it's an after-market magazine. It has a few minute differences from the factory mags, but these differences made for a serious casualty. Now I'm back to one spare mag, and I don't like that. I need to keep searching for factory mags. I'm sure I'll come across one eventually.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Eventually you can get some on eBay.
Everything is set for you!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Try the new rubber iron grips Russ is selling here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6028
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

chestertnted wrote:Eventually you can get some on eBay.
Everything is set for you!
Yezzir. If any magazines pop up on eBay, I'll have to make sure they're factory mags. Gonna check-out the local gun shows as well, but I'm gonna take a factory mag with me to make use it's cut the same.
RoyOdhner

Post by RoyOdhner »

Curly1 wrote:Try the new rubber iron grips Russ is selling here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6028
I kinda like these little guys, so I'm saving up for a second p64. Gonna try Russ' grips on that one. Why a second P64? Why not? Might just get it cerakoted as well.
Jerine

Post by Jerine »

robhic wrote: May 4th, 2016, 11:02 am Yeah, tough life! :mrgreen: Have fun.
lol you are funny dude 8)
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Try loading five rounds instead of six. Cured the stovepiping for me.