Flying Slide!

Info, pictures, advice...
cruiser

Flying Slide!

Post by cruiser »

I once had the slide fly off while shooting (in my backyard) it landed about six feet in front of me in the grass. How could this happen?
Since that incident I pay closer attention to how I hold the gun and glance at the safety after shots.
Possabilty:
1. Saftey going on during recoil?
2. Trigger guard being pushed down by poor handling during shooting?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flying Slide!

Post by dfunk »

Wow - that is not good. I would check the little locking piece on the trigger gaurd and look for any abnormal wear and or breakage. The trigger gaurd is obviously not staying engaged while you are firing, or something to that effect. Pictures?
cruiser

Flying Slide!

Post by cruiser »

It is my guess that the trigger guard release became disengaged while firing. With my paying more attention to how I hold this little beast it has not happened again. It is a 1976 year and appears to be brand new. I have since aquired a 1977 new. I am putting that one away!
I just wanted some opinions on how this flying slide may have happened.
nodaktwo

Flying Slide!

Post by nodaktwo »

;D
I think you are right in the cause is from holding insecurely and allowing the trigger guard to be moved during the firing sequence.

I loaned my P-64 to a friend at the range one fine day, and he did the same thing. Only my slide landed on a concrete floor and collapsed the slide a bit so it would not go back on the frame. I spent several hours carefully using a stone to open up the tail of the slide so it would function again.

I made a good set of Walnut grips to fill my hand and have not had any problems since.

Shoot safely and often.
;D
NodakTwo
amd6547

Flying Slide!

Post by amd6547 »

Were you holding it with your finger around the front of the trigger guard?
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
cruiser

Flying Slide!

Post by cruiser »

Were you holding it with your finger around the front of the trigger guard?
As big as my hands are, I probably was. I also am really glad to hear that it happened to someone else! Since then I have added a slip on Pachmayr grip.