New mosin nagant owner ammo question

Talk about rifles and shotguns here.
gilmaxter

New mosin nagant owner ammo question

Post by gilmaxter »

Well guys I know about the surplus ammo. But I am wondering is there any non surplus ammo I can buy. Reason why I ask is because I want to buy non corrosive ammo and I know that all the surplus ammo is corrosive in nature and brand or something to look for or what to buy?
tech 1

Re: New mosin nagant owner ammo question

Post by tech 1 »

You can buy new production but there is nothing wrong with suplus corrosive as long as you clean the gun property and don't let it sit around. It's the salts that are left behind that cause the problem. I clean mine by running warm water down the barrel, then normal solvent and patches. The bolt assy gets dropped into my altrasonic cleaner with a little simple green. Then make sure everything is dry , wipe it down with oil rag and oil patch down the barrel. I have 4 mosin variants and 3 look like new , my 1901 finned was already a sewer pipe when I rescued it from a pawn shop.
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

So is all new production ammo corrosive salt free then ?
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

New ammo uses either boxer or berdan non corrosive primers.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have used Silver bear in mine and surplus.

Cleaning corrosive is easy.

I use an old washer water hose, with the end cut off.

Hook it up to the basement stationary tub and standing the rifle on the muzzle in the drain run it thru the back end of the action with the bolt removed into the chamber.

It forms a nice tight fit in the chamber and the back of the receiver holds the hose in place..

Start hot water on low and run it until the receiver gets hot. Takes a couple of minutes.

Hose off the end of the bolt too.

Run a couple of patches thru to make sure it's dry then a few with bore cleaner and then oil it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Glad to see all this information on this =)

Thank you guys
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

You might want to treat anything that was not produced for commercial sale as corrosive. I know the Russians were still producing corrosively primed military loads as late as 2000, but Brown or Silver bear, Winchester white box and Sellier and Belloit are all non corrosive. Although I avoid Winchester as they use .308 sized bullets and most Moisin's barrels are larger than that (slug yours and check) and the European made stuff knows that. I have a friend who loads and gets excellent accuracy out of his 1942 91-30 by using .310 bullets and has one that loves bullets designed for .303 British loads. Slugging your bore and checking how yours is sized makes a lot of difference, but generally the .308 bullets do not give as good accuracy as slightly larger bullets. And when cleaning, all you need is Windex. The ammonia in Windex destroys those pesky corrosive salts on contact. After a range trip with my two M-38's (think m-44 without the bayonets) I just remove the bolts, field strip em and spray / wipe with Windex, reassemble and oil, then spray windex in the chamber / down the bore, run patches until I am certain the bores has been well wetted with Windex and then normal clean and oil. Just make sure that ANY metal part that could come in contact with the gas from firing is wiped with Windex, this means magazine and follower (easy to do) and the trigger area, again easy to do. It really almost takes longer to write this than to do extra above normal cleaning. And windex is cheap and it evaporates easy so I do not worry about water droplets hanging around in a crevice starting rust. And enjoy that old warhorse, they are a blast. Mine were both made in 1943, the year the battle of Stalingrad ended. If they could only talk..............
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

If mine could talk I wouldnt understand. Well I will go looking for any commercial mosin ammo like bear or European based ammo vendors. I know it's easily to clean I just dont wanna have to worry about it.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And I would find a translator. :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Ketchman wrote:And I would find a translator. :mrgreen:
And I would do the same :D