Pre 1972 P-64 NEED ADVICE?

Info, pictures, advice...
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

I have a mint 1971 P-64 and I want to get another. Does anyone know if the slight changes in the 1972 and later versions are for the better or the worse? I was thinking about getting a pre-1972 so the parts that had been slightly changed would match my other gun if I ever needed spares. Is this a good idea? I am a novice to this pistol and need advice...
Last edited by vermonter on October 3rd, 2006, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worker

Post by worker »

my 1973 has a much better double action pull the the '69. So if I would do it again, I would not have any pre-72 ones
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

vermonter, it might be good for you to read a lot of the threads here about the P-64, a lot of good info from several well informed guys that have been here since the site began, and I am sure they can answer your questions better than I could. This is a thread from a while back that might be of interest to you about your question.

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1141595578

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Trigger pull is not consistent with model year. Nobody seems to know what parts availability and quality control were like, when the Poles were doing the bidding of the Russians.

What pleases me most, is that these gems are milled precisely, are all in unissued condition, and are MUCH more accurate and reliable than the Maks. And that goes for the P-64's ability to eat almost all ammo.

Just change the mainspring for $5, if you don't like the DA trigger pull.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Stan,

Hope to see you in a few days at the FWB show, I'll let you know what day we will be there after we get down to PC.

Take Care,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Papabear,

Looking forward to seeing you. Weather is perfect here now, so hope it stays that way for your visit.

Got a few more boxes of my favorite 9x18 Norinco green box at a good price. The discharge smell kind of reminds me of NAPALM IN THE MORNING!!! LOL.

Have a safe trip,
Stan
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

My two magazines have different styles of magazine followers. Also, my feed ramp looks very different than the one pictured somewhere on this board. So there are differences. I don't know if the board members have ever tried to catalog all of the production variations. Mak parts will interchange I have read. Different years, different countries of manufacture, makes no difference. P-64 parts will not necessarily interchange I have learned on this board. Post 1972 parts are available to a limited degree. Others are not that I know of.