Retitled: How I tamed the heavy DA pull

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
gemini1

Retitled: How I tamed the heavy DA pull

Post by gemini1 »

I just got the 18# hammer and 20# recoil springs I ordered from Wolff. I noticed that both springs are longer than the oem parts. I assume its because its new?
Once installed, I do notice how light the DA pull is, compared to the old spring. But, just as with the original spring, the hammer gets hung up halfway through, and its still tough to pull the trigger the rest of the way. Any idea whats causing this?
Also, with the new longer recoil spring, why the heck cant I put the slide back? Tried it a couple of times and the slide wont go to its correct orientation. I've tried the old one many times as well, and I dont have ant trouble assembling.
Should I cut the new recoil spring?

I made a short video showing the problem.

Last edited by gemini1 on October 24th, 2014, 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Are the Wolff springs longer than OEM?

Post by manicmechanic »

On the recoil you need to file or grind the ends flat to match your OEM. I'd recommend oil quenching the spring while doing this to keep it cool.
gemini1

Re: Are the Wolff springs longer than OEM?

Post by gemini1 »

Hey manic, thanks for the tip. I did see a post about grinding both ends flat, when I googled it. I did grind it, and its working now.
That leaves the main problem. Why is there a hung up on the hammer? I wonder if the sears/hammer needs some polishing? Or maybe I should just try and shoot DA all the time, to smoothen the rough edges?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Hammer spring changed to 18 lbs, but....

Post by manicmechanic »

Did you make sure the small washer at bottom of hammer spring got put back in?
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Yes the washer is still there. I also grinded both ends of the hammer spring, flatten it like the recoil spring to allow it to sit evenly at the washer/mag disconnector.
Today, I disassembled the lower/frame, and gave the sear/hammer bar and hammer another good cleaning. I also used a 1500 grit sand paper to polish the contact parts, just a tiny bit.
Reassembled the parts and sprayed it with white lithium grease.

Though I can feel a little smoothness as I pull the trigger, the hang up is still there. It's not like with other pistols, where the DA pull is even all the way till the hammer drops.

Is your P64 like this as well? Im beginning to think that it was just how this pistol was designed?
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

I'll check mine and get back to you.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Have you put any rounds down range? My trigger pull smoothed out quite a bit after a few dozen rounds.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Typically on these Walther PP/PPK clones polishing the hammer strut and more importantly the area of the hammer between the safety notch and the single-action notch will smooth out the double-action trigger pull. Just don't touch the single-action notch itself.

Posted with SwiftKey
gemini1

Re: Retitled: How I tamed the DA pull

Post by gemini1 »

Pshootr, yes just what I did. plus some other minor things.

I've changed the title of my OP to make it a little catching, espocially to those who just recently acquired their P64.
So as I mentioned on my OP, that even after going for the reduced 18lb Wolff hammer spring, I was still having a hard time pulling the trigger in one smooth stroke. The hang up halfway through, was from the trigger bar engaging the hammer notch.
So I took the plunge and decided to do some filing and polishing and grinding, to see if there's a way to get a smooth and lighter DA pull (by P64 standards).

Some of the tools used: Mini file set from Harbour Freight, paper clips, screw drivers and a locking surgical plier. Not shown was a small grinder mounted on a cordless drill.

The red/blue arrow is the notch I filed. The depth and angle of that notch was similar to the two other ones on the right side. I used a flat file and just did maybe 5 -7 strokes. Then I used the triangle file and did around 10 strokes. I did stop and check after every couple of strokes, to make sure Im not taking too much meat.
For polishing, I used a 1500 grit sand paper, Wrapped it around the triangle file and run it on the inside notch.
I also sanded the trigger bar and the disconnector.
I've also grinded a coil away on the 18 lb hammer spring.

Reassembled the parts, tested the DA pull, without applying grease or oil.
And I can now declare, Im a happy camper! the trigger pull is smooth in one stroke with no hang ups!
Once the missing part arrives, she's on her way to the range. And depending on results,
I can then maybe think about lightening the pull some more.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Congratulations, 'gemini1'! Can't wait for the range report.

Posted with SwiftKey
gemini1

Range report

Post by gemini1 »

So I finally got the extractor pin from Poland last night. Installed, function check. Ready to hit the range.

Okay first off, I'm not really a good pistol shooter, I tend to shoot low left with my double stack 9MM, POI is about 3' around 8 - 8:30 from POA. From all the reading Ive done, I've concluded that its in how I hold the grip, relevant to its thickness.

So with my fist single stack pistol, this is what I got at 7 yards;

Obviously POA is the X, first 3 shots above was on DA and last 3 below is on SA.
I got to say, I was surprise at how hard it kicks, after shooting the 2nd mag, I had to run out to the counter and grab the Houge Jr grip I saw on display.

2nd mag, first 2 shots on DA was above POA, and SA were spot on.

All shots on DA only;

Overall, Im impressed with this pistol. Its not a range toy though, after 50 rounds of Silver Bear, a mag of RWS and a mag of Hornady Critical Defense, my shooting arms started to feel fatigue, that I was only able to shoot about 40 rounds of 9mm and called it quits.
The 18 lbs spring is too light on SA though. I didn't notice it when its just the P64 Im shooting. But when I did some alternate shooting, between the P64 and my 6904, which is also a DA/SA, I always get that surprise bang, when its the P64's turn.
I might try the heavier 20 lbs and see how it goes.
Last edited by gemini1 on November 3rd, 2014, 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Retitled: How I tamed the heavy DA pull

Post by Curly1 »

Nice report and overview.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Thanks Gary. For now, I switched back the oem spring, but I grinded it a coil less to reduced some spring tension. I can still pull the trigger on a one hand stance, but the front sight, noticeably jumps. How far off? we'll find out on my next range trip.
pablomoca

Post by pablomoca »

Does any one know if copies of the the pictures in this thread are available elsewhere? I seem to be running into the same issue with my DA trigger pull.
Bswxby

Re: Retitled: How I tamed the DA pull

Post by Bswxby »

Thanks for posting your fix. My P-64 has exactly the same problem. I couldn't see your pictures however. Any chance you could repost or share a link?
gemini1 wrote:Pshootr, yes just what I did. plus some other minor things.

I've changed the title of my OP to make it a little catching, espocially to those who just recently acquired their P64.
So as I mentioned on my OP, that even after going for the reduced 18lb Wolff hammer spring, I was still having a hard time pulling the trigger in one smooth stroke. The hang up halfway through, was from the trigger bar engaging the hammer notch.
So I took the plunge and decided to do some filing and polishing and grinding, to see if there's a way to get a smooth and lighter DA pull (by P64 standards).

Some of the tools used: Mini file set from Harbour Freight, paper clips, screw drivers and a locking surgical plier. Not shown was a small grinder mounted on a cordless drill.

The red/blue arrow is the notch I filed. The depth and angle of that notch was similar to the two other ones on the right side. I used a flat file and just did maybe 5 -7 strokes. Then I used the triangle file and did around 10 strokes. I did stop and check after every couple of strokes, to make sure Im not taking too much meat.
For polishing, I used a 1500 grit sand paper, Wrapped it around the triangle file and run it on the inside notch.
I also sanded the trigger bar and the disconnector.
I've also grinded a coil away on the 18 lb hammer spring.

Reassembled the parts, tested the DA pull, without applying grease or oil.
And I can now declare, Im a happy camper! the trigger pull is smooth in one stroke with no hang ups!
Once the missing part arrives, she's on her way to the range. And depending on results,
I can then maybe think about lightening the pull some more.