P64 internals question.

Info, pictures, advice...
milsurp4me

P64 internals question.

Post by milsurp4me »

Hello all. :hi:

I recently picked up a wonderful looking P64. I stripped it completely and cleaned it all up. Talk about a job. Took me forever to get that thing back together. Anyway, I was just wondering why they put a triangle on the sear to engage the other parts and not a cylinder. The jagged edges of the triangle make for some rough movement.

Also, What is the number on the back of the frame for. The number under the grips?
fully machined

Re: P64 internals question.

Post by fully machined »

Are you refering to a sear tooth as a triangle?
milsurp4me

Post by milsurp4me »

I could not tell you the proper name for it. It is the triangle shaped protrusion on the disconnector side of the sear. At the bottom. Just wondering why it is shaped like that.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Are you talking about part 4 or 5A?

http://www.p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

A picture of what you are asking about would help allot.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
milsurp4me

Post by milsurp4me »

I am talking about part 4. If you look at the bottom. The end opposite of the hole. You will see a triangle shaped extension.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

The triangular extension of the sear is probably for strength of the sear tooth. Bigger at top for sear to hammer engagement and then narrowing to trigger bar engagement. The sear narrows at the bottom. The function of the lower part of the sear is for trigger bar engagement during single fire. During single fire the trigger is pulled back, the trigger bar moves forward and the front inside edge of the trigger bar engages the bottom edge of the sear to release the cocked hammer.
milsurp4me

Post by milsurp4me »

Thanks fully machined. This leads to my original question of why they would make the connection a point instead of a rounded surface. I would think that the point would lead to a rougher action.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Make sure your P-64 is unlaoded and safe. Remove magazine and grips. Cock the P-64 to single action fire. Again, make sure pistol is unloaded. Observe from the left side of the pistol. There is a hole in the frame where you can observe the trigger bar to the lower part of the sear engagement. If you notice on the sear there is a step. This is where the trigger bar engages the sear and moves it forward to release the hammer and fire the pistol durring single action fire. The trigger bar contact area here is only at the corner of the trigger bar and does not go the full width of the face. Only about 1/4 to 1/3 is used. Also the depth of engagement is slight. If you are talking about a roller here-- the mating surfaces of the trigger bar and sear should come into contact parallel and perpendicular, or flat to each other. Is this where you are talking about? I hope this helps-- also notice that only the outside bottom corner of the sear engages the trigger bar. Nothing really rolls here. It is more of a forward applied force by the trigger bar.
milsurp4me

Post by milsurp4me »

I see what you mean. It is more of a pushing action. Thanks for the explanation.