Slide stuck all the way back

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jatku1

Slide stuck all the way back

Post by jatku1 »

Greetings all,

I took my new-to-me p-64 out to the range today after having two gunsmiths check it out (both said it was in great condition). After two rounds of Hornady Custom through it, the slide is now jammed/stuck solid all the way back. Any ideas as to why, or how to fix it?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Slide stuck all the way back

Post by Weasel640 »

jatku1 wrote:Greetings all,

I took my new-to-me p-64 out to the range today after having two gunsmiths check it out (both said it was in great condition). After two rounds of Hornady Custom through it, the slide is now jammed/stuck solid all the way back. Any ideas as to why, or how to fix it?
For starters I wouldn't shoot Hornady Custom though it anymore. I'm also curious as to the amount of wear the recoil spring may have encountered over the years. It is rear but with allot of use the spring can wear out (it happens on other guns, not usually on the P-64).

So fixing it; Have you tried pulling the trigger guard down in order to take the slide completely up and off? If that is stuck too; I'd try putting on a pair of tight fitting shooting gloves (really helps with grip traction). Then hold it in your right hand tilted with the slide in your left. Use your full right arm to push out, while using your left to pull. Also slightly rock the slide side to side. Hopefully that will loosen up whatever is jamming it enough to allow it to go back forward.

Once you get it loose, take it apart and check for anything that may be causing the malfunction. I'd cycle some snap caps through to check function before using live ammo.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Some folks don't know that you have to remove an empty magazine before it will allow the slide to come forward.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

snailman153624 wrote:Some folks don't know that you have to remove an empty magazine before it will allow the slide to come forward.
Yeah, I had assumed he had already done that. He said this occurred after only two rounds so it would not have been empty. Plus you should NEVER work on any firearm unless you've removed the feed (mag), checked the chamber, and checked the slide for brass.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It looks like it was the first time he was firing it.

The first time I fire a new to me auto weapon I load out 1 round only then 2 or 3 just to make sure it doesnt slam fire from a worn part.

+1 always remove mag check and recheck chamber to ensure it is empty.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

Hi guys,

I only had 3 rounds in the magazine the first time I shot it. There are no unfired rounds or brass in it. I did remove the magazine. I also had several range officers look at it, and they were stumped.

The peculiar thing is that there is absolutely no play on the slide, it is jammed tight!

Any other ideas? I'm going to take it to a gunsmith next Friday if I can't get it working on my own (with your help, of course)

Jason
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

Solved!

The slide stop lever (part 22 on the diagram/parts list on the forum) was blocking the slide from returning.

What should I do to prevent this from happening again?

Jason
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Curly1 wrote:It looks like it was the first time he was firing it.

The first time I fire a new to me auto weapon I load out 1 round only then 2 or 3 just to make sure it doesnt slam fire from a worn part.
This was my line of thinking as well; I've never had it happen, but have heard of slamfire incidents, as well as high-recoil causing unintentional trigger pulls in inexperienced hands.
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

Would I be correct in assuming the recoil spring might be worn out? I have a new one from Wolff arriving any day now.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It won"t hurt to replace the spring and try it again with different ammo also, then if ok go back to the Hornady.

Let us know what happens.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Glad you got it fixed.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Post by JohnnyBfromPeoria »

Thanks to you all, I got my slide unstuck as well. It just needed a little wiggling and bam! Well, not BAM as in bang, but you get what I'm saying.

First post here. Thanks for making this forum possible! Looking forward to reading up on everything I can do to make my 1970 even better.

John B.
I like my guns
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

JohnnyBfromPeoria wrote:Thanks to you all, I got my slide unstuck as well. It just needed a little wiggling and bam! Well, not BAM as in bang, but you get what I'm saying.

First post here. Thanks for making this forum possible! Looking forward to reading up on everything I can do to make my 1970 even better.

John B.
A little wiggling followed by a BAM is always a good thing.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I luv it when a plan comes together. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary