What a Surprise!

Info, pictures, advice...
Boston Boy

What a Surprise!

Post by Boston Boy »

While rummaging around in her closet, my mother-in-law found an old shoe box left by her late husband. In the box was a circa 1942 FN Hi-Power with one magazine and original holster. Guess what? She gave the pistol and holster to me. It has about 85-90% finish, though there is a little muzzle wear. The holster has a crease in the flap, but I won't try to rejuvanate the leather, because it will change its character. What a lucky find! Sorry, don't have camera, so no pix. If I can get my 15-year old daughter to explain the intricasies of the I-phone, perhaps I can post a few images. I am so happy, almost like Christmas morning as a kid.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: What a Surprise!

Post by Curly1 »

That is a nice surprse, hopefully you can get some pics up.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Transport

Post by Transport »

Ahoy!

Sounds like Santa came early this year!

Can't wait to see the photos.

Transport out
Boston Boy

Post by Boston Boy »

Took the Hi Power to the club to show the guys (and gal). Didn't mean to fire it, my fingers sqoze rounds into the mag; then, hey presto, the pistol was in battery with safety off, and a round was going down range. After the fifth or sixth guy (and gal) tried it, we all agreed it was very comfortable to shoot . . .No bark, bite or pinch. No muzzle flip. Little to no recoil. So, the gun I meant to keep unfired may now be my secondary carry, as soon as I get a good holster w/thumb break. Oh, before we shot the Hi Power, we looked down the barrel to confirm there was no blockage, and wiped off some of the cosmo (actually it was axle grease from a covered wagon). Other than that, there's been no PM on this gun for over 40 years! All the parts made the right noise, and, of course no grating (anyways, not loud enough to frighten the dogs) and it definitely fed and ejected three brands of ammo. To wrap up this warped tale, I'm am over the moon with my early Christmas present. Thanks Mom and darling wife.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds like a nice heirloom but IMO I would not use it as a carry piece.

If you have an encounter with it and you shoot a BG then it will be confiscated by the police during their investigation and who knows when and what kind of condition it will be in when it is returned.

Yes it functioned well today but would you trust your life with it especially when it is documented that the Belgian factory workers practiced sabotage on the hipowers during the occupation with things like extractors so they would fail. Starting with the WAa140 marked pistols parts broke due to improper heat treating, recoil springs, extractors, loose safety pins loose or broken front sites with repeated firing.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Tarzan Guy

Post by Tarzan Guy »

Curly,
Computer went kaplooey, so I re-registered from Boston Boy to Tarzan Guy. As to your concern about my 1942 Nazi Hi Power being possibly dangerous (gee, I thought all firearms were dangerous in the wrong hands) due to it's age. Don't worry, it's only five years older than me, and I haven't malfunctioned yet! Seriously, I detail stripped and cleaned the beastie, had a gunsmith give it the once over (for 50 bucks he could've looked at it at least twice), ordered new springs. I even asked my "Brain Trust," a group of shooting buddies of advanced experience (read "old geezers"), of which I am the youngest at age 65. I feel really confident about this pistol, it has the tangent sight, and the SN is low enough for it to have been exempt from the tampering of the Belgian "surrender monkeys." If things go "pear shape," as our English cousins say (though I can't remember any of my relatives with a Geordie or Liverpoodlian accent), then I'll will my Hi Power to you! Okay?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Sounds good it can be a mate to my 1942 Hi-power. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary