Stiff de-cocker/safety

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Transport

Stiff de-cocker/safety

Post by Transport »

Good Day!

Sorry if this has been covered before, but my de-cocker/safety lever is really stiff.
What can be done to smooth this up?

Thanks in advance- new P64 owner

Chuck
Hypnotoad

Re: Stiff de-cocker/safety

Post by Hypnotoad »

1. Disassemble safety, polish safety detente. I've done this, definitely improved things.

2. Remove any burrs on the end of the safety where it rotates in the slide, or the slide itself. Mine didn't have any so I haven't done this.

3. Shorten safety detente spring. I haven't done this but intend to soon.
Transport

Post by Transport »

Thanks for the advice, I will try these reccomendations and advise.

Chuck
neth

Post by neth »

I had the exact same problem, which is major IMHO considering the P64 doesn't have a firing pin block (like the CZ82) isn't safe to carry without the safely/decocker engaged.

As Hypnotoad mentioned, my safety was also burr free so I disassembled the decocker and very lightly and evenly filed the end of the detent. Also removed 1 coil from the detent spring. While still firm with positive engagement, I can now flip up the safety with my thumb while drawing the weapon and be ready to fire as I bring it up on target. Be very careful though, you don't want the lever moving too freely, as it will automatically drop to safety between shots.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4365

It provides all the information you need, but I personally wouldn't - and didn't - remove as much material from the detent as they show in the pictures. A light filing/polishing should do the trick.
Transport

Post by Transport »

Once again the members of this forum have come through with sound advice.

I did as suggested and removed the safety lever, polished it up and made it smooth.................
cleaned and lubed the firing pin, and detent pin and spring.

Now, although not sliky smooth, I can operate the lever with my thumb easily.

Thanks to those who assisted with this fix.

Chuck
BCR#1

Post by BCR#1 »

neth wrote:I had the exact same problem, which is major IMHO considering the P64 doesn't have a firing pin block (like the CZ82) isn't safe to carry without the safely/decocker engaged.
I can guarantee that it's not safe to carry with the safety off. You're asking for trouble if you do.

Bill