extra rounds magazines?

Info, pictures, advice...
rc_flyer

extra rounds magazines?

Post by rc_flyer »

Hey Folks! This is my first post.

I just got a P-64 at the local gun show. I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas about longer magazines with extra rounds. I would like an 8 or 10 round magazine and might try my own hand at building one. I was just wondering if anyone else had gone down this path.

Thanks!
frankmako

Re: extra rounds magazines?

Post by frankmako »

i have never seen any. sometimes the regular mag are hard to find. you will have to build one as far as i know.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

If you search through this forum, you will find that it's been tried before. From what I remember they had marginal to negative success with trying to modify magazines. I think the were able to get 1-2 more rounds but they sacrificed the reliability of the weapon.

I definitely would not carry something I wasn't sure worked correctly like that.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I absolutely agree with Weasel. It has been done, but as he said with crappy success. Some folks modified the follower so it would compress in more and fit another round. 1 more round isn't worth making the gun unreliable as Weasel also stated. If you could make a whole new design and just make it hang out of the gun, then you may be onto something.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with Curly1, by extending the length of the magazine you loose some of the capability for conceal carry also. If you want more rounds of 9x18 in a pistol I suggest a getting a Makarov w/8rds or a CZ82 w/12rds.

Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

I have played with this idea. I managed to get 7 rounds in one mag. As far as loading goes it had no problems in my test runs, but it didn't have the ability to hold the slide open after you were out of bullets. To me that is a very important signal when in a fire fight. It also keeps you from dry firing the gun after you run out of ammo. In order to fit that many in the clip the spring and follower had to be shortened. The follower worked fine, but there was no way to keep the pressures needed for the slide stop with the shorter spring. I tried heat treating the spring to be stronger, but it still couldn't do it. And as other had mentioned you can extend the clip, but you loose the concealable ability of it to the point where it would be better to just get a different pistol.
rc_flyer

Post by rc_flyer »

Sounds like good advice! Anyhow, I took my baby out shooting and so far haven't had a single jam, missfire or anything. I am using the standard "bear" ammo and it works like a sewing machine! I am getting consistent hits out to 25 yards too. I got 2 extra magazines from keepshooting and they work perfectly too. I guess I am just a happy camper!