Need some advce on how to fix this...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Gary2112

Need some advce on how to fix this...

Post by Gary2112 »

I need some advice on what to do to fix this. I've installed new springs in my P64, and while I was cleaning the gun I noticed a burr
on the lip where the spent shell is extracted from the barrel. It looks like at one point the slide either got caught on that edge or the gun had jammed. The bur is small, and I see no wear on the slide.

The slide functions normally without any drag that I can feel, but I don't want anymore damage to occur if I shoot the gun. I haven't shot it yet, as I've only had it a few days. Here are some pics (sorry for the crap photography- I had to use my phone cam);

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
fully machined

Re: Need some advce on how to fix this...

Post by fully machined »

Here is what I got but lets see what some other members have to say before you begin to remove any "meat". I have seen this edge cut back here or 45 degree angle. Very small and not much and over what appeared to be fresh bluing or someone's recent, armory?, touch up. One of mine has this and and I could see my hand select new one maybe needing it done after a few thousand rounds or so. Check your extractor. It mates in this notch in the barrel. makes sure its free--lifts up over the barrel.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

The extractor feels like it is free. It moves up over the barrel when I lift it with my finger. Not sure if thats what you are meaning for me to try or not. It (the extractor) also doesn't look shiny or worn to me. I'll can take more pictures if needed.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Search the forum I think there something similar being discussed except the burrs were on the left side and it was speculated that it was caused by the slide slipping when trying to assemble or disassemble and it slamed into end of the chamber.

The fix was to smooth them out or leave them be IIR.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

Thanks Curly1! I was concerned that there may have been a safety issue.

edit- Since I'm kinda OCD, what should I do if I want to remove the burr? I sorta bugs me, even if it poses no issue with the operation of the gun.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Use a dremel and go slow.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

I've got to polish the feed ramp, so I guess I'll try and tackle that while I'm at it. I don't mind polishing with a Dremel, I just hate the thought of grinding. I don't imagine it will take long to smooth out that small of a burr. I guess I get to touch up the bluing there too while I'm at it... yay... :roll:

Thanks for all of the help guys! I'm just glad that it's nothing serious.