Initial Cleaning

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
kielbasakid

Initial Cleaning

Post by kielbasakid »

I learned this from a soldier in Iraq, and it has worked well for me. A solution of Low Odor Mineral Spirits and Break-Free LCP, mixed 1 Quart of Mineral Spirits to 4 Ounces of Break-Free LCP, shaken well, makes a wonderful Cleaning and Lubing product. I use it for all my "All Metal" pistols. I mix two batches, usually in Plastic Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Jugs, one for "cleaning", and one for a final "Rinse". After removing the grips, I will submerge the pistol in the solution. A large square Tupperware container, or a Glad Disposable Container with snap on lids work great as a "Tank" to wash the parts in. I let the pistol soak for approximately 30 minutes, then I will scrub carbon build-up areas, and bores with a non-metal brush. If necessary you can disassemble the pistol. If the pistol is assembled fully, you can shake the container and "agitate" it in the solution. After cleaning, remove the pistol and "drain" it over the container, then place it aside. Let the cleaning solution settle, then pour it back in the "Cleaning" jug, leaving the carbon and sludge solids in the Tupperware container, to be disposed of in a safe manner. Wipe out the container, or use another reserved for rinsing only, and fill it with the "Rinse" solution. Agitate the pistol in the cleaning solution for about two minutes, then remove it and drain it over the container. I use a plastic coated clothes hanger to hang the pistol out to "dry". On a good warm to hot day, this does not take very long. Pour the rinse solution back in the jug. Mark containers as "Clean" and "Rinse" so they do not get mixed up. The mineral spirits evaporate from the pistol after a while, and only a very light coat of lubricant remains on the pistol. Wipe pistol with a soft, lint free cloth. Run a dry patch through the bore. Replace grips, and you are done! Total 100% cleaning and lubrication coverage! This process eliminates the possibility of unseen rust developing in places you cant get to in normal cleaning procedures. Both the "Clean" and "Rinse" solutions can be used numerous times, but be mindful not to pour any sludge that settles to the bottom of the jugs in the "Clean" or "Rinse" container. After 4-5 uses of each solution add another 4 ounces of Break-Free to each, after you pour the sludge free portion of the solutions into the "Clean" or "Rinse" Tupperware containers. Store the jugs of solution in a cool, dark area. I change the old solution out with new once a year, or sooner if used a lot, or when it turns to a "Strong Tea" color. I have experienced zero rust on my pistols, and this makes an excellent packing grease/heavy oil remover.

Disclaimer: I have had no problems with this solution. I assume no responsibility for any harm or damage resulting to anyone or anything by other persons making and using this solution. I WEAR FULL EYE PROTECTION and NITRILE RUBBER GLOVES WHILE USING THIS SOLUTION.
The Only Sarge

Re: Initial Cleaning

Post by The Only Sarge »

Cool.
I am all for homebrews.