Help me identify an old shotgun (blackpowder)

Use this section for all other firearms
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Help me identify an old shotgun (blackpowder)

Post by juniustaylor »

It's a double barrel muzzleloading shotgun. Has Damascus steel barrels. No names on the side, only identification marks are on the bottom. I can make out A LIEGE. There are a couple other random numbers and such. I think there something like a 17.9 and JA. By my best guess it's a Belgian made shotgun from somewhere in the 1800's but I really do not know. Wondering if anyone else has an idea on who made it, when, and what it could be worth. I'm doing a bit of work to it for a friend that it belongs to. The nipples were bummed up real good so I'm going to acquire them from Track of the Wolf and they are a non-standard size and Track has some odd ones that should fit.

I'll try to post pics eventually. Has some nice furniture and ornate stuff. One of the side locks has a picture of a fox and some scroll work. The other lock has a picture of a hound and scroll work. Various other places with scroll and of course some of the screws have the burst look.

Thanks.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Black Otter

Re: Help me identify an old shotgun (blackpowder)

Post by Black Otter »

You might send a request to Sarah Rittgers at Muzzle Blast magazine; the magazine of the National Muzzle-Loading Rifle association. The address is NMLRA,PO Box 67,Friendship, In. 47021-0067. She would like all visible markings transcribed and clear photos if possible. They do identify quite a few old guns. There is also a website at www.shotgunworld.com that I just read about. Good luck.
Black Otter
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I found a website that listed the various Belgian proof marks. Based upon the marks on the bottom of the barrels, the thing was made somewhere between 1852 and 1877. I got the nipples replaced with standard size ones. My dad ended up buying the gun off the gal I was fixing it for. The 17.9 was the bore size in mm which makes it about a 13 gauge. Thanks for the information Black Otter, I may find it of use in the future.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Black Otter

Post by Black Otter »

Junius,
I am glad you found out the info. You reminded me I have an old book on proofmarks in my gun books. The old guns are really neat. Being a buckskinner I see some old originals once in a while. One of my favorites I have is a Davide Pedersoli 2nd model Brown Bess .75 flintlock musket. It is essentially an 11 gauge. A lot of fun to shoot. Of course, this is a reproduction.
Black Otter