Thinking about buying a P-83 Wanad but need some help.

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
surfzombie

Thinking about buying a P-83 Wanad but need some help.

Post by surfzombie »

I am a big Makarov lover and I also love my P-64 (my carry gun). I have been thinking of getting a P-83 but want to know what to expect. Please convince me for or against it. Why should I buy one and why shouldn't I buy one. Does it have the same safety and firing pin issues the P-64 has. I know that parts are a known issue. Does anyone here own a good Makarov and a P-83? How do they compare? Thanks for you impute.
polock

Re: Thinking about buying a P-83 Wanad but need some help.

Post by polock »

IMO, P83 more like a Mak than similar to a
P64. P83 has very nice DA/SA pulls, more bulky than the P64, much easier to control (recoil) than the P64, but more roughly finished--at least the ones I have seen--than the P64.

IMO, the P83 is too bulky for CCW, unless you live in a cold climate and wear a jacket most of the year.

I like both, but prefer the P83 for shooting and the P64 for its better fit/finish.

Go ahead and get a P83--they don't cost much, and are an interesting part of "cold war" history--
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"--Brendan Behan, Irish post
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Very stout pistol, only real crudness of pistol is sharp edges and not enough exterior work on pistol with fine sand paper. If you wanted too and had time you could make it into a nice looking pistol. Of course with a re-bluing. The P83 is more of a combat type of pistol than a CCW even if you refinished it, its still big. Couple of places below the trigger guard that need to be rounded as they are square and kinda punish you fingers when shooting.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

fknipfer1 wrote:Very stout pistol, only real crudness of pistol is sharp edges and not enough exterior work on pistol with fine sand paper. If you wanted too and had time you could make it into a nice looking pistol. Of course with a re-bluing. The P83 is more of a combat type of pistol than a CCW even if you refinished it, its still big. Couple of places below the trigger guard that need to be rounded as they are square and kinda punish you fingers when shooting.

fknipfer1
For the heck of it, I carried one of my P-83's one day. It wasn't bad, had zero issues hiding it under a t-shirt, and it fit right into the same holsters I use for my Makarov. The only issue was the goofy hammer poking me in the side after a while.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Might look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2999&hilit=wanad