Silver Bear 94gr HP

Info, pictures, advice...
DocCasualty

Silver Bear 94gr HP

Post by DocCasualty »

Nothing too exciting to report, but I finally had a chance to shoot a few mags of the Silver Bear 94gr HP ammo in my P-64, P-83 and Soviet PM. As a reminder, I replaced the P-64's hammer spring with a 17# Wolfe and the remainder on all three pistols are stock.

All three pistols shot this ammo without a hiccup. Overall I remain very impressed with how these pistols handle any ammo I have thrown at them. I was kind of surprised when I read a thread recently where somebody said their P-64 jammed with any HPs, so I was curious what would happen with these. All three also shoot Hornady XTPs without a problem.

There really isn't any practical difference shooting either the FMJ or HP Silver Bear's. Both seem to have the same acceptable accuracy. I still haven't made up my mind yet what the best currently available ammo choice for SD is with the 9X18s but am sticking with the Hornadys for now.

BTW I do think the Marschal grips help with the felt recoil with the P-64.

NRA Life Member

papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Silver Bear 94gr HP

Post by papabear »

DocCasualty wrote:

Doc,

I couldn't agree with you more, they do make difference, but then so do Zee's resin grips, I like em both for different reasons.
tiber1

Post by tiber1 »

DocCasualty wrote:Nothing too exciting to report, but I finally had a chance to shoot a few mags of the Silver Bear 94gr HP ammo in my P-64, P-83 and Soviet PM. As a reminder, I replaced the P-64's hammer spring with a 17# Wolfe and the remainder on all three pistols are stock.

All three pistols shot this ammo without a hiccup. Overall I remain very impressed with how these pistols handle any ammo I have thrown at them. I was kind of surprised when I read a thread recently where somebody said their P-64 jammed with any HPs, so I was curious what would happen with these. All three also shoot Hornady XTPs without a problem.

There really isn't any practical difference shooting either the FMJ or HP Silver Bear's. Both seem to have the same acceptable accuracy. I still haven't made up my mind yet what the best currently available ammo choice for SD is with the 9X18s but am sticking with the Hornadys for now.

You reloading or find someone carrying Hornady XTPs?
DocCasualty

Post by DocCasualty »

tiber1 wrote: You reloading or find someone carrying Hornady XTPs?
Neither. I still have some boxes of Hornady I bought back when. Wonder if we'll see that back on the shelves one of these days?

NRA Life Member

wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

DocCasualty wrote:
tiber1 wrote: You reloading or find someone carrying Hornady XTPs?
Neither. I still have some boxes of Hornady I bought back when. Wonder if we'll see that back on the shelves one of these days?
I hope so, too. I use the XTP in my Sig 9mm and they shoot into one ragged hole (of course the Sig may have something to do with that).
aj84

Post by aj84 »

i could not find any Bear ammo, pick up some Fiocchi ammo and some Hornady XTP, i will try them out on Wednesday. Is the Hornady XTP hard to find?? i keep reading that it is, i had no issues finding that sucker, price was a bit high but i figure that if Im going to use a type of bullet, I better make sure that works well on my gun. Should be a lot of fun. I will post results later.
brock123

Post by brock123 »

aj84

Post by aj84 »

papabear wrote:
DocCasualty wrote:

Doc,

I couldn't agree with you more, they do make difference, but then so do Zee's resin grips, I like em both for different reasons.

Any particular type. Im getting ready to order some grips for my p64 im looking for some recommendation marschal or resin. Thanks Ed