Safety is failing, any fixes?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
68polishp64

Safety is failing, any fixes?

Post by 68polishp64 »

My 1968 Polish P64 shoots great and I love it and use it as my carry gun of choice. I shoot it often but about 5 months ago my safety has become very stiff. I have learned to deal with it and just carry with the safty off. But I love this gun and want to fix it. I keep it clean and use Rem Oil and a little gun grease and it never fails. I didn't see anything blocking the saftey and cleaned out very well and greased. Is it just worn out from age and lots of use? I've heard of this happening to other P64s but didn't ask why.
tiber1

Re: Safety is failing, any fixes?

Post by tiber1 »

Well, on mine, the safety detent had a nub on both ends. If you look at the parts list pictures, it should have a little nub/post on one end and a rounded end on the other. Mine had nubs on both ends and it bound the safety up and made it take two thumbs to move it. I just took a bit of 800 grit sand paper and smoothed out the one end. It looked like when it was made, they just forgot to clean the part up.
butane

Re: Safety is failing, any fixes?

Post by butane »

I just received my 1972 model, and had the same stiffness problem. Go to the P-64 home page, click on 'media' then on the 100% assembly instructions. You can do this!

I took the slide apart, and when I got the little stubby post out (found it after the spring launched it across the shop) I rounded the pointy cone-shaped end into a super smooth round-as-a-ball shape, so that it wouldn't sink so deep into the cat-eye shaped detents, and now I can actually move the safety with just one hand.

I also honed the rest of the offending parts with fine emery paper, the 1500 grit stuff that you get from Auto Zone.