Re-assembly prob after field strip

Info, pictures, advice...
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Strange. Last night I field stripped my P-64, wiped it down, etc. When I got ready to put the slide back on, I found that it just wouldn't slip on...

Now, I taken the slide off/on countless times and not had a problem. I felt like an idiot, went and did something else for a while, came back to it, and all of a sudden the slide went back on.

I seem to remember someone else having this problem? Is there something to check when this occurs?

thanks, stib
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I had the same problem with the Third Variation I bought. I felt like an idiot that could not get the slide back on. I tried several times and then it almost dropped together?????

Speaking on this subject, an M14 gives me "fits" sometime getting the bolt back in place. I will almost fall out, but getting that one "sweet spot" for it to drop back in is terrible. Of course, i don't shoot it that often, so it is a little more difficult. When I was shooting them often, I could get it to fall in place everytime.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

The trigger guard needs to be out (pull down and push to one side to lock it) and the hammer needs to be cocked. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but happens to me sometimes.

Other than that, don't know what it could be. Check to see if the recoil spring is on backwards (smaller end goes over barrel first) it may not seat all the way into the end of the barrell if it's backwards (other problems too...)

Hope this helps.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

The trigger guard needs to be out (pull down and push to one side to lock it) and the hammer needs to be cocked.
Yup! That's usually the problem for me when I can't get the slide back on. For whatever reason I keep knocking the trigger guard off its take down position...
d627

Post by d627 »

Try to check the placement of the Slide stop. if it shifted then the Slide will not go on properly. hope this helps.
D
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Hi guys -

Thanks for the responses. No, I did check the trigger guard, I know it has a habit of shifting out of position. Not sure how the placement of the slide stop should look, I'll have to investigate this. I noticed when I engaged/unengaged the trigger guard, it didn't seem to "move" anything.