5%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 22

hangfire

Re: OC vs. CC How do you carry?

Post by hangfire »

primarchbentley wrote:
hangfire wrote:I've lived in a large urban area since the early 60s. In that time I can't recall ever seeing a non-LEO open carrying a gun. If you OC in a store or a restaurant they'll probably ask you to leave. They might even call the cops. Sad but true. Life in the city.
Salt Lake City may not be the biggest city around, but I'd call the Salt Lake valley pretty urban. A lot of the time, people just plain don't notice. I've swapped over to a PA-63 because it stands out against my clothing and people notice more. While OCing, the closest I've gotten to being "asked to leave," was a manager stopping me on the way out of IKEA (after being there for an hour looking at beds) and saying it was company policy for no firearms in the store, to "remember that for my next visit." Elsewise... restaurants, stores, I've never been asked to leave, or even to cover up. Nor have I been called in about MWAG (at least, I haven't been approached by an officer about it). If anything, I've had more officers smile and nod to me since I started open carrying (fortunately, LEO education about OC is pretty good out here). I've been OCing most weekends for the past year now, after I built up the gumption to do it the first time. The most common question I get is "Is it legal to carry like that?" which is a great place to start some education.

To me, a right not exercised is a right lost. Also, if it's "common perception" that "only cops and bad guys have guns," the only way to fix that is to be a responsible, respectable citizen seen openly carrying a firearm in day-to-day life. To be an exception to the "perceived norm." I make an exception for my job, sure (I like my job...), but I do what I can, when I can. But that's me, YMMV...

Not to belabor the point too much more (more could be said about OC as a deterrent, etc.). If OC is legal in your state, I bet there's a community of individuals who OC regularly, who have advice/experiences/tips/etc. to share. Opencarry.org is a good place to start, especially the forums.

Yes there are places like Salt Lake City where handgun toting is viewed differently. You are very fortunate. Regrettably most large cities haven't reached that level of enlightenment. Culture, demographics, state laws, whatever. Here in my burg you walk around with a piece strapped to your waist people will not just "notice", you'll be on the 6 o'clock news.

Interestingly enough we have an active statewide 2A advocacy organization, and concealed carry is prevalent even in the city. But OC hasn't caught on. There's hope however. In the news recently people were openly wearing guns in, of all places, San Francisco.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Tennessee permits open carry anytime. We are issued a handgun carry permit and you may carry any handgun you own any way you want to.

I like it conceal it to avoid looks and questions from the general public. I also like having the Ace in the Hole if things go sideways. Sometime a visable gun can create more problems for you from drunks and idiots with a Tarzan Syndrome.

But then again, this is just my opinion.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I carry concealed but here in Wyoming it it is perfectly legal to OC and I have seen it fairly often around town. I recall standing behind a couple of tourists in the check out line standing behind a OC guy at Safeway. After he left the woman asked the girl at the register if she wasn't nervous about the MWAG who just left. She said no because she see's most every day. They just couldn't believe it.

That said, I have seen guys OC in liberal urban areas like Boulder and Denver as well. It's just not that big of a deal here in the intermountain states. Usually nobody even notices or else they aren't bothered by it. Apparently it's only a big deal in the occupied "blue state" territories.
dom

Post by dom »

I conceal carry with an IWB holster i made myself.

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That is an excellent looking holster dom! You did a very nice job making it. How long have you been in the art of leatherwork?
boomer

Post by boomer »

In my opinion the pistol is setting much too high and could get knocked loose or grabbed is a tussle. I Like them lower and I never cross draw. Too much chance of a miss when sweeping left to right plus your strong arm is out in front of you to be grabbed.

It should be 2 to 3 inches lower and behind your strong side hip. You push off with your weak hand while drawing with your strong hand and moving back at a 45 degree angle. As soon as the pistol is infront of you start shooting. Even if you are low there is a good chance you will hit something even if it is a leg. Shoot two then two more then take a look as you continue to move backwards. The reason you move at a 45 degree angle is to see where you are going so you don't trip. Also shufffle your feet so if you do hit something you will still have both of them under you.

This is the way I was taught and I can attest to the fact that it works from first hand experience.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The one on the wicker object appears to be made different than the one in his pants. The top of the clip is by the grip area. Are these two different holsters dom? boomer, I do agree that it should probably sit a bit deeper in. However, if dom is comfortable with it that way, then I guess it's just a matter of opinions. Either way, it's better than paying $30+ for some fabricated holster or an expensive handmade one bought from someone else.

EDIT:
Definitely if the grip area sits up too high, the gun can feel unbalanced and awkward. Almost like it wants to teeter over and fall out. Maybe not so much with IWB holsters, but definitely your traditional outside holster can be this way. I have one of those dinky Phoenix Arms .22's and it has a heavy grip and the holster I have for it is some rinky dink Uncle Mike's knock off.
boomer

Post by boomer »

The De Santis Speed Scabbard for a Walthers PPK fits very nice for me. In fact all of my Walthers PPK holsters fit the P 64 very well. I like the De Santis because you can adjust retention with a simple screw adjustment.

I have just completed the 200 round reliability test on the Kahr CW 40 I ended up with and now just ordered a De Santis for it. My son in law is a local deputy sheriff and I get tons of .40 caliber ammo for nothing. Hey what the heck. Not my favorite caliber but for free I can live with it.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I haven't had enough experience with the .40 to get a well-formed opinion of it. A lot of government agencies use it, however, that doesn't really prove anything. I bought a Hi-Point .40 JCP pistol back in the fall. There's probably a couple snickers from some folks. However, I have had nothing but excellent results with that ugly gun. I took it out shooting on some property that belongs to some folks at church. I shot it at 50 yards at a hedge apple. For those unfamiliar with what a hedge apple is, it's about the size of a grape fruit and somewhat bigger.

Anyway, It took me 4 shots to hit it. The first three were within 2-4 inches. The 4th shot hit the thing and litterally vaporized it. I was shooting Winchester FMJ ammo. The Hi-Points are a fixed barrel gun, so I guess that explains the excellent accuracy. Plus, shooting a semi-auto at 50 yards and for that accuracy, I think that is pretty good for a $180 gun.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Meet the master of disaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

That's from an Osage Orange tree. There's a guy on the leatherworker forum whose son makes burnishers from that wood, and they're very pretty.

I hear good and bad things about the Hi Point guns, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and firearms is near the top of that list.

I think I've seen nearly all of Hickok's videos. The guy has some serious shooting skills. One of my favorites is him bangin' the gong at 100 yds. with the EB Kobra Carry.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Dick he is a school teacher by vocation and one hell of a nice guy and just a pleasure to be around. I am going to bring the CZ 82 with me next time and just to see what he can do with it. I am no expert however, I can hit what I am aiming at most of the time and the 82 is the most accurate gun in my safe. I have a burn barrel out about a 100 yard out and I can hit with remarkable regularity. I can't even get close with any of my 1911's. The scary part is, I don't have to adjust for bullet trajectory with the 82 more than a coulpe of inches.
robalan

Post by robalan »

I think there is a lot to consider when deciding to OC or CC. The communities you are going to do it in and the event or establishment are things to think about. The community reaction to OC can affect not only how you are treated but also your family. There was a lady in Lebanon, PA that OC during her child’s soccer game. I have to think the family stress probably triggered the murder suicide that followed around a year later.

Soccer Mom With Gun, Lebanon, PA :(

I would not say people should not OC. But it seems wise to consider all the options and possible reactions in the area you OC.