JHP.
19%
Mixture.
41%

Total votes: 32

boomer

Re: 9x18 jhp vs. fmj

Post by boomer »

I have been on the receiving end and the giving end of some in my life. Who hasen't been besides Elton John......LOL!

Off subjest, this Springfield Brazil Steel fame really sucks. I wanted to braze the tube on after restaking and the torch just eats right through this crap. Real inferiour metal.
Oh Well!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

LOL about ole' Elton...

That's crappy about your pistol. Guess there's not much of a way to harden the steel any. Might become too brittle. The staking won't hold it on good enough? Would silver solder work... may require a lower temp to melt it.

I don't believe Silver Bear makes the 115 gr. JHP stuff anymore. I think I read that somewhere else a while back. That's kind of a shame since it seemed to have good results in that gel.
boomer

Post by boomer »

I got Silver Bear JHP all over here in TN. Goes for around $12.00 a box of 50. I have not hear anything about it being discontinued. I have a few boxes laying around here somewhere I received the other day

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 040236#PIC

But then again, I like S&B FMJ and use that as carry ammo. I also like their sealed primers as well.
mellisallen

Post by mellisallen »

i was curious as to the penitration of the 9x18 fmj round so i did my own test.
i shot at a phone book from 7 yards and EVERY round went through and then through the 3 inch wood backstop. if it can do that im content with it as sd round. (two holes bleed quicker than one).
im not real worried about an urban background as i live in maine.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Typically the FMJ 95 grn. Mak .364 bullet starts to tumble after initial entrance and really make a mess of the good stuff inside. Every combatant I put down with one in South East Asia was not a happy camper when it hit him. Lots of screaming and yelling. By the third hit, it gets quiet.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

boomer wrote:I got Silver Bear JHP all over here in TN. Goes for around $12.00 a box of 50. I have not hear anything about it being discontinued. I have a few boxes laying around here somewhere I received the other day

But then again, I like S&B FMJ and use that as carry ammo. I also like their sealed primers as well.
There's plenty of Silver Bear 94 gr. to be had. However, the 115 grain stuff isn't produced anymore.

boomer the safety "wing" on the side against the slide also has a symbol stamped on it as well. I finally got my rear sight moved over. My gosh, that was a pain in the butt. I used a torch, heated it for about 15 seconds at a time between strikes. I finally used an old busted brass punch with a slight tip to it and gave it heck with the brass hammer. It obliged and finally moved over. It should be good now.

EDIT: Corrected the grain weight from 95 gr to 94 gr.
Last edited by juniustaylor on March 20th, 2010, 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boomer

Post by boomer »

juniustaylor wrote:
boomer wrote:I got Silver Bear JHP all over here in TN. Goes for around $12.00 a box of 50. I have not hear anything about it being discontinued. I have a few boxes laying around here somewhere I received the other day

There's plenty of Silver Bear 95 gr. to be had. However, the 115 grain stuff isn't produced anymore.

boomer the safety "wing" on the side against the slide also has a symbol stamped on it as well. I finally got my rear sight moved over. My gosh, that was a pain in the butt. I used a torch, heated it for about 15 seconds at a time between strikes. I finally used an old busted brass punch with a slight tip to it and gave it heck with the brass hammer. It obliged and finally moved over. It should be good now.
Patients and perserverance wins out again. I can't tell you how many times I have had to do that before. Good Going!
boomer

Post by boomer »

I think the 115 grn stuff was used in their Sub Machine guns with the hard primers and that's why the 64 had such a heavy hammer spring to ignite it. If memory serves me, S&B made some 115 FMJ at the request of the Czech Army as well at one time for use in the CZ 82. That is kinda getting on the out side limits of a straight blow back pistol though. You would have to use a Lock Breech configuartion at that pressure level and would be wll advised to avoid the Browning design failure of lock up tongue and groove rings in the slide and pivoting link and pins. The Glock or Kahr Locking Block is far better and with less moving parts also.
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

juniustaylor wrote:For some reason I keep thinking about the "punch in the face" comment... :lol:
halljt3 wrote:The human body also is not tolerant to being punched in the face, and with the proper punch it can be just as effective as a .45 but I think I would rather stick with my handgun.
I am glad you enjoyed that, i found it rather amusing myself... Thanks for the links to the articles... I think when I get some time I might do some tests with the silver bear jhp to see how reliable the expansion is.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

boomer
the 115 & 120 grn stuff was sold in the USA or Canada only as fare as I know,they felt the Americans would buy any thing bigger and faster, it was a marketing tool, it like the +P on MFS bullets the only difference MFS didn't over load their bullets like the Russians did

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
boomer

Post by boomer »

Thanks Norm,

I read somewhere that S&B made some for the Czech Army when they were using the CZ 82. It must have been on the CZ forums.

I think you know my position on overpressured ammunition and that there is absolutly no need for it. Putting it in a 30 + year old Mil Surlpus pistol is dangerous. I won't even use it in a new pistol. I guess I am not one of those Americans that will fall for anything either. I don't see a need for hollow point bullets either in an autoloader. They were designed around round nose bullets for feeding reliability. But to each his own as they say.

In Vietnam, we even used Esquire Boot Polish on the 1911's and inside the mags to knock down the rust and corrosion. We even polished the ammo with it when we had a chance to keep the brass from turning green. When we could get it, we also used finger nail polish to seal primers on our ammo.

When I was a kid, I worked for a German Gunsmith and he had me polish the Blue Steel on the Guns in the show case with it. It sure made them shine. Truth be know, all of my Blue Steel guns still get a coat and a buffing to this day.

When my son was in the sand box, he used Turtle Wax to knock down the feeding problems with the M9 and scotch tape over the register holes in the mags to keep the powder fine sand out.

I also debur springs for reliability as well. Springs only wear when being flexed and will pop up small splinters on the coils. A simple rub with some 400 wet and dry paper will go a long way.

Here is a trick for you, take a standard P 64 hammer spring, put it on a nail of correct size then put the hole thing in an electric drill. While spinning you can take a good file and reduce the diameter of the coils thus lightning up the spring. Try it!

Regards,

Boomer
dom

Post by dom »

halljt3 wrote:
I guess I really just wanted to see what yal use for SD FMJ vs. JHP... feel free to expand on you vote (what brand of ammunition and your experiences with it)
I use Fiocchi 95 grn. FMJ as my carry ammo. At the range i practice with Silver Bear FMJ, always ending my range session with at least 2 mags of my carry ammo. Main reason i choose FMJ is because thats what the pistol was designed to use.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

boomer wrote:Typically the FMJ 95 grn. Mak .364 bullet starts to tumble after initial entrance and really make a mess of the good stuff inside. Every combatant I put down with one in South East Asia was not a happy camper when it hit him. Lots of screaming and yelling. By the third hit, it gets quiet.
:shock:
Ok that's good to know, but did it punch through?

(And glad you made it back. Oorah!)

Just saw an article about overpenetration and the consequences in the last week by Massad Ayoob. He mentioned one about 9x18 95gr but gave no additional info.
dwd

Post by dwd »

boomer wrote: In Vietnam, we even used Esquire Boot Polish on the 1911's and inside the mags to knock down the rust and corrosion. We even polished the ammo with it when we had a chance to keep the brass from turning green. When we could get it, we also used finger nail polish to seal primers on our ammo.

When I was a kid, I worked for a German Gunsmith and he had me polish the Blue Steel on the Guns in the show case with it. It sure made them shine. Truth be know, all of my Blue Steel guns still get a coat and a buffing to this day.

Boomer
Esquire Boot Polish on a firearm? that's a first for me. Will that really work/help? I assume it was black boot polish? put it on the metal and everything?
boomer

Post by boomer »

Don't laugh until you try it on a blue gun. Yes Esquire Black Boot Polish. Ever notice how slippery your car gets when you put a coat of wax on it. Did you even see that wax running off the car on a hot day either. The car will be so hot you can't keep your hand on it but the wax will not roll off. The boys in the sand box are using Turtle Wax on the ammo to cut down on FTF. Try it before you laugh!