Hello New P-64 owner here

Info, pictures, advice...
talon

Post by talon »

Hello All,

What a great site! Im glad I found it. Just bought a 1972 P-64 Friday. (any specific info to model date?). It appears to have never been issued and looks to have a chrome lined barrel. The DA sucks LOL as it appears to be typical of the pistol.

What a great value couldnt believe the price, I'm now considering buying two more ;D.

I first found the Makarov board least to say that was depressing Then I was fortunate to surf here. As a result of this site I'm going to purchase a DH JIT 18 for it. Any suggestions for place to purchase? Gunnersalley with shipping is 27.00.

I may try to lighten the DA with the wolfe spring.

Looking forward to further discussions :)

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

Welcome!

Be sure to read through the site carefully before proceeding.

That Wolff spring will turn your P-64 into a sweetie! But before you do, read the threads on doing it. There is a LOT of experience in working on the P-64 here and it can help the process go much easier.

Also look through the main site as there are pictures in the mods/fixes section to help you get through the spring change.

Have fun!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

A BIG Wlecome to "talon"! We hope you will find the Forum to be a great help to you.

As "mikethewreck" stated, take some time to read the past posting and you will find a wealth of information from photos, history, AND how to help the DA pull. In one of the "Stickeys" you will find why the DA pull is what it is and how to cure it. Be sure to print yourself a Free copy of the P-64 manual. It will help you to understand the pistol a little more.

Also, be sure to clean the pistol good as the oil that comes on it is a preservative only and does not lubricate well. After cleaning, oil and/or grease it up and it will be ready for the range.

Now, you have the year (1972) that I need to complete my series of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd variation. Yours is the 2nd variation and should have the round hammer with the updated intenals like the 3rd variation.

Again, welcome and Have Fun!
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

Hey abwehr, hope for you and your second variation yet!
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

Hey Talon,

I have had my P64 for some time. I also looked the internet over trying to find any info on my choice for CCW. Some try and throw you off like dirty water. I think you will find us all willing to help anyway we can. Myself glad I finally found a home. Welcome
talon

Post by talon »

Hi Guys ,

Thankyou for the warm welcomes. I did down load the manual thanks for mentioning it. Before I undertake changing the spring I'll ingest the how too's and the picture before I attempt. From what I've read its a pretty straight forward mod. Especially with you guys to help move me along with it.

What were the new mods of the 1972? also I've noticed that the under the slide is plum colored why is that? a different bluing technique?

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

talon,

One of the threads about the different variations described the differences in the 3 variations, but I think I have this right..... The 1st variation has the round hammer and dated thru 1970(?). The 2nd variation has the round hammer and modified internals (can't remember the exact part/s, but nothing major). The 3rd variation has the triangular hammer with the modified internals and dated 1973 - end of production in 1977.

The plum color is a variation during bluing. Most of the parts were blued in the same solution and if a part is harder (from heat treating), the color will be off and produce the nice plum color we see. If the bluing solution/time/heat, etc was changed, the part could look like standard blue. The cost to do this for a few parts is not worth the effort, so we have the plum color parts. Acually, I think the plum color is nice and gives a good contrast
talon

Post by talon »

Hello Abwher,

Thanks for the education. I agree, I like that plum color myself.

I was given a box of the S&B 95gr. ball ammo and a box of the Hornady xtp 95gr hp. from the dealer I bought from. He charges 17.00 for the S&B green box (50 rounds), is there a place that I can order from for a lot cheaper. Wally World gave me a blank look when I asked if they carried 9x18 Mak LOL.

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

talon,

I buy a lot of ammunition from Sportsmans Guide. Sometime they have excellent prices on ammo, and sometime they are high. Others I have bought from are ammoman.com, and AIM Surplus. I can't get to my links, but do a search for each one and check them out. Others on the Forum may jump in with better information. I am out of town and using the client internet, so I don't try to abuse the privilege too long.
bkiles

Post by bkiles »

Hello all ... :D

I have had my P64, '76 for about a year now. I have looked for an informative website for a while, but just stumbled on this site a couple of days ago. Awsome site! and everyone seems full of help and info. Today I ordered a #16 spring from gunsprings.com based on what I found here.
Thanks for all the help and I look forward to lots of more time spent here
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

bkiles,

WELCOME to the P-64 Forum. This the only place to get correct information on this great pistol. Please take some time and read the previous postings as there is a wealth of information that is not available anywhere else.

Also, we have some great folks that can help with any questions you may have. Please come back often!
Last edited by abwehr on April 6th, 2006, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.