funny, clinking sound in rear of receiver

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
brink

Post by brink »

Something I've noticed just recently. When my P64 is empty and the safety is in the "fire" position, if I "wag" the gun from side to side I can here a small piece of metal rattling around inside the gun near the back of the receiver. It sound like something very small and it sounds as if there's just enough movement in there for it to make the sound. However, if I position the safety to "safe" the sound goes away. Very curious.... Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal? Haven't ventured far enough to taking the gun completely down to "parade rest". Wanted to see what the consensus was on this first.
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

Brink,
I unloaded my p-64 tried took the safety off, shook it back and forth, then put the safety on and shook it again, mine too made a "rattling" noise while safety was off. So my guess would be that it is normal.
boomer

Post by boomer »

I would suspect that might be the disconnector moving around but the best one to ask would be Norm or Dick as they have the most experience with these pistols.
brink

Post by brink »

I'm thinking its a normal sound too. Norm? Dick? Please provide your expert opinions? Thanks guys!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Mine makes no real clicking noise when shook other than the loaded chamber indicator. I even took the slide off the frame to check each one and still it was only the loaded chamber indicator. The disconnector made no noise, but I have a light coating of gun grease on my parts, so no noise is noticed. Upon further inspection, it appears that the disconnector could make the noise. In safe, it is activated. When in fire, there is a channel in the safety mechanism that is wider than the disconnector is thick, so there is some play in there for it to make a rattle. Seems normal.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF