Possible Reason for Shot Placement

Info, pictures, advice...
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

This chart shows possible reasons for shot placement POI [point of impact] other than your POA [point of aim]. Generally its all in how your align the sights and pull the trigger. But also, generally speaking, heavier bullets will hit higher and lighter bullets will hit lower, ie. shooting a .38 special with a 158gr bullet will generally hit higher than a 110gr .38 special due to recoil, the heavier bullet having more recoil, the barrel will rise up more before the bullet reaches the end of the barrel, conversely, a lighter bullet will have less recoil and the POI will be lower. So this chart is basically for adjusting for the left or right of center but does cover breaking your wrist up or down and other reason also. Hope this helps explain some reasons why your POI is different than your POA.

POINT SHOOTER
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I went to the range today and put two clips within 5 inches at about 35 feet. I was really pleased with this improvement on my part. The two things that helped me were dry fire with snap caps and sheer volume of ammo down range. I sucked bad until I hit this threshold of about 450-500 rounds fired through my p-64 and then it was like a light bulb went on and I could shoot. I truly believe that my p-64 is only limited in its accuracy by my ability, the gun itself is very accurate and very reliable. Especially since I started holding the gun right and polished the feed ramp.
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

Great chart papabear, thanks for the post!
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

Papabear, we taught basic marksmanship principles for years and we had a similar tool like your wheel. The best recipe for sucess is practice, practice and more practice. Thanks for sharing this with us as it brought back some memories of our principles
that we all grew to utilize when training all new recruits.

But the best thing that the combat arms profession ever spent money on in my opinion was the "fats" machine. You could show each student where his/her rounds went into or around the target, it let you reshoot shooters who had problems qualifying. It was a great teaching aid. 8-) Sgt P.