Yrs of manufacture???????

Info, pictures, advice...
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and am going to buy a P64 next
week. Does anyone know the last yr that they made
them? I would like to get the newest one I can find.
Thanks for any info.
Denny
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

I believe they first began production in 1964 maybe thats were the 64 in "p-64" comes from? and I think the last year of production was 1977 (Thats the year I have) Im not exactly sure if this information is correct so don't quote me on it! There are a lot of members on this site that know a ton of information on these guns so I am sure someone on here can give you a exact answer. Imo I don't think having a newer p-64 is necessarily better then a older one it just depends on which one is in better condition, and from what i hear whether or not some one has shot wolf ammo in it (I have never personally used it but from what i hear the ammo is useless and can damage your gun)

As a fairly new member on this site, I welcome you, and you have found the right place for a ton of info on these great little guns.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Thanks halljt3, I was beginning to think I would never get an answer.
I can pick almost any one I want and am going to use it as a carry gun.
I can't decide between the round hammer or tri. I've read somewhere
that the tri hammer guns had better trigger parts installed in them.
Maybe somebody can clear this up for me.
Thanks,
Denny
Last edited by leadhead2 on January 24th, 2010, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

leadhead2

the only difference is the trigger return spring and a shorter firing pin in the tri hammer guns

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Then it dosen't matter which one I get? There both equal in guality?
Thanks for the info,
Denny
Last edited by leadhead2 on January 24th, 2010, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I would pick the one that appears to be in the best shape regardless of year. I personally prefer the rounded hammer as it's less likely to get snagged on anything in a draw. My 71 is a great shooter but the bluing was really worn. My new '77 is in much better condition and may even be "unissued".
John has a long mustache
Sgt P

Post by Sgt P »

I have both the triangle style hammer and the round hammer. They both shoot equally well. As far as machining goes I believe all years the P-64 was in mfg, their quality control was superb. Mine are superb pocket pistols and that is the reason that I bought them. ;)

Having both side by side, there is really no differance except the hammer and length of firing pin and trigger return spring which Norm mentioned in the post above. If you believe that getting one of the newer mfg ones will be better quality, go for it.
8-) Sgt P.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Thanks Guys,
I guess I'll just pick the best one I can find. The round hammer does make more
sense for a carry gun.
Denny
halljt3

Post by halljt3 »

There is a thread that has pictures of both the hammer styles side by side. I personally like that triangular hammer for concealed carry I don't have any problems with it and feels as if it makes it slightly easer to cock, might make it faster in a life or death situation, that is if you don't want to shoot in d/a. Although I must add my opinion is prob. biased seeing as how I only have the triangle hammer!
Here's the link I was talking about.
viewtopic.php?t=1584