The importance of a proper grip.

Info, pictures, advice...
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

I handed my p-64 with the finger rest removed to a friend of mine and he shot it three times, put it down and said no thanks.

I've had a lot of trouble with my gun tearing a hole in the web of my thumb and I sanded it down-- the gun not the thumb. I still experienced occasional fte or ftf with my gun. I got the crap kicked out of me by this gun but I persevered and put about 500 rounds through it in a few weeks.

I finally eliminated my ftf and fte as well as my rub mark on my thumb by experimenting with different grips and finding what works as well as googling how to grip a hand gun.

What works best for me is a modified version of the two thumbs forward grip. It had to be modified because of the small dimensions of the p-64.

I am right handed and grip the gun with my right hand and my right thumb is parallel with the top of the grip and just below the slide. I leave room for my left palm to fit beneath my right thumb and behind the fingers of my right hand. I wrap the fingers of my left hand around the front of my right hand.

I end up getting a good grip with the thumb, palm, and fingers of my right hand and a good grip on the grip with the palm of my left hand and my right hand with the fingers of my left hand.

Both thumbs are pointing forward with the right hand thumb resting on the meaty part of where my left thumb is part of my hand. The left thumb sort of sits across the fingers of my left hand and points sleightly down in a natural way.

This is a terrible description and I can't really take a picture but experimenting around I determined that grip makes all the diiference when shooting this gun. Well of course site picture and trigger squeeze are the rest of it but those are not specific to this gun.

I'm no expert but this works good for me and if it helps anyone else (or if they are already doing it) great.

Also if anyone has any tips to give me that will help me out feel free.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

There is definitely a trade-off with a smaller gun. I love the way my Glock 23 shoots but I can't conceal it like I can my P64. With the P64 I get a full-featured gun with hammer, decocker, safety and a steel frame all in a small, concealable package. The trade off is that it kicks like a bull and I have to make sure my grip is correct or I pay for it with blood. I love the little gun, though and find myself carrying some variant of 9x18 more and more these days.
John has a long mustache
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

Yeah I went to the range today with my p-64 and my smith 442. Shooting +p 38 through my airweight is much less painful than ball ammo through my p-64. If nothing else if you can carry and shoot this gun anything else is going to be a piece of cake.

But like you my p-64 is usually what I'm carrying with me, super comfortable to carry and it is accurate and reliable. Painful doesn't matter that much if everything else is good.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

I took my P-64 to the range Saturday. Not the most comfortable pistol but easy to manage and the most accurate one I had with me on that range trip. I ran about 30 rounds of Silver Bear hollow point through it, I feel that I should fire it each time I go since it's my primary carry weapon.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I never found mine to be anything less than pleasant to shoot.
This ghetto-grip made all the difference in the world to mine though.

Last edited by jbabbler on January 22nd, 2010, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John has a long mustache
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

What did you use for your grip?
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I just cut a small piece of mountain bike innertube and put it on inside-out. It doesn't look like much but it makes for a comfortable grip.
John has a long mustache