New springs didn't seem to help trigger much.

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
beltfedleadhead

Post by beltfedleadhead »

I did search a bit on this, and it seems that people are satisfied with the Wolff replacement springs, but in my case they didn't seem to help a whole lot.

I installed an 18lb spring, and the pull IS a little better, but still in the "absurdly heavy" range. Are my expectations too high? Is it unrealistic to hope for a "normal" ~5-6lb pull? I'm not expecting miracles, but I was hanging in mid-air off the OEM trigger like Wile E. Coyote.

I read about a somewhat complex sear spring mod. Is this commonplace, or just a gee-whiz procedure?

Also the new recoil spring won't allow the slide to go on all the way. It gets 99% of the way there and won't go any further. I ended up launching the slide across the kitchen a few times before I decided it was futile. Someone mentioned "grinding" the new recoil spring. Is this recommended?
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

"Grinding" the new recoil spring is nothing more than flattening the last coil of each spring end. Look at the original spring as an example. This will shorten the spring enough to allow your slide to be reinstalled.
desertdave

Post by desertdave »

I, too, had a problem with the 22# recoil spring being just a wee bit long. Gentle grinding(flattening) of the ends was a grind-try-grind-try until it fit.....These guys on the Forum are RIGHT! The difference in felt recoil is amazing! I can put 2 boxes of Silver Bear through my P-64 with none of the previous "pain & suffering"!! I put in the 18# trigger/magazine spring from Wolff.....I find it quite usable at 18#......I carry 6+1 hammer down (condition 2) and expect to use DA...Then SA......My 1977 P-64 feeds Hornady HP PERFECT=I am the so-called, Happy Camper! Without Wolff springs and the Unofficial P-64 site, I'd be unhappy, I suspect. Thanks Guys!!.... :)DesertDave
Last edited by desertdave on December 12th, 2009, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

You can lighten the hammer spring until you start to get misfires with your ammo of choice. Than re-install a heavier one or use a small washer to shim the one that is just a little too weak.

Polishing the hammer strut and the hammer (between the single-action notch and the safety-notch) will help too. Don't alter either notch, just the curved area between them.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

beltfedleadhead wrote:Is it unrealistic to hope for a "normal" ~5-6lb pull?
In double action? Yes. Yes it is.
beltfedleadhead

Post by beltfedleadhead »

PshootR wrote: Polishing the hammer strut and the hammer (between the single-action notch and the safety-notch) will help too. Don't alter either notch, just the curved area between them.
What's the best way to accomplish this? What tools did you use?