p64 vs keltec pf9

Info, pictures, advice...
rigger7

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by rigger7 »

Was wondering if there is a big difference between the two shooting and concealability wise.
Is there a real weight difference?
rigger 7
jbabbler

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by jbabbler »

Honestly, you are comparing apples to oranges. The PF9 is Double-action only, safety-less, lightweight polymer framed, striker fired pistol. It uses a locked breach system similar to a 1911 and can therefore shoot a more powerful round. It is a very basic, stripped down gun that has had many teathing problems since it's production run began. While many of there early issues have been worked out I would still avoid used PF9's at all cost as they either seem to work 100% or fail miserably.

Conversely, The P64 is a a full featured military/police gun. It is a DA/SA hammer fired weapon with a decocker and manual safety. The hammer is a rebounding hammer which adds an extra degree of safety if the gun is ever dropped. She's built like a brick shithouse and is quite a bit heavier but dimension wise slightly smaller but not by much. My Makarov PM, Kahr CW9 and KT PF9 can use the same Fobus or Don Hume holster but my P64 can drop into it and not touch the sides. All of that being said, my PF9 turned in to a loose rattle trap after a few hundred rounds and my Kahr CW9 went back to the factory three times because it wouldn't fire. My P64 and Makarov PM have never misfed, misfired or failed to extract. They have been 100% reliable through and through.

Personally, I carry what I trust and I find myself carrying my P64 50-60% of the time now with my Steyr S40 shouldering the duty when clothing permits.
John has a long mustache
envy

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by envy »

For my two cents I agree the Kell Tek is just NOT a gun you want to trust you're life with the P-64 you could run over with a T60 and drop it into mud set it on fire and throw down a cliff pick it up and it will work flawlessly same for the CZ82.

If you're looking for modern subcompact and reliable I recommended on another post go with the SIG 250 nitron or the Glock 26.
Never allow the radical views of the few to infringe on the Constitutional rights of the many
jbabbler

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by jbabbler »

ENVY wrote:For my two cents I agree the Kell Tek is just NOT a gun you want to trust you're life with the P-64 you could run over with a T60 and drop it into mud set it on fire and throw down a cliff pick it up and it will work flawlessly same for the CZ82.

If you're looking for modern subcompact and reliable I recommended on another post go with the SIG 250 nitron or the Glock 26.
While I do like my Sigs, I wouldn't even put the P250 in the same size catagory as the PF9. The P250 is as large as most poly "sub-compacts" @ 7.2" long and 1.3" wide. I think a better comparison would be a PPS or PM9.
John has a long mustache
norsk

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by norsk »

I agree with jbabbler. I have owned a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 and a Kahr CW9. The Kel-Tec was horrible, wouldn't feed one mag reliably. The CWP also had some reliability issues, but a lot less than the Kel-Tec.

My P64 is new to me, but so far it seems like a great gun for the money.
jbabbler

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by jbabbler »

ENVY wrote:For my two cents I agree the Kell Tek is just NOT a gun you want to trust you're life with the P-64 you could run over with a T60 and drop it into mud set it on fire and throw down a cliff pick it up and it will work flawlessly same for the CZ82.

I couldn't disagree more. I would and do trust my life to a Keltec P11 quite a bit. It is a great little 9mm with a 13 round capacity. Mine has had over 10,000 rounds through her without a single hiccup. I love my P11 and she serves wonderfully in her roll as summer carry gun and "truck gun". I love my P64 and do carry it quite often but it has nowhere near the firepower of the 13rd P11 loaded with 124gr +P
Last edited by jbabbler on December 4th, 2009, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John has a long mustache
mirother

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by mirother »

jbabbler
I agree that the P11 is reliable. I recently upgraded from 10 round mags to 12. It seems that you have, too, and are having success with them. Any comments?
I have had problems with the P3AT. It seems to be easy to jam, needs cleaning a lot, and prone to light primer strikes. It seems to work with S&B ammo, but many other brands have too hard primers for it. On the other hand, the P32 seems very reliable.
stover

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by stover »

No reliability issues with my P3AT after an initial break in period. I trust it as much as any firearm I own.

FYI: The P-11 was designed to take S&W 59 / 69 series magazines because it was released during the ban era with only 10 rounders. You can often find used S&W magazine for less than a new Kel-Tec Mag.
Last edited by stover on December 5th, 2009, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbabbler

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by jbabbler »

mirother wrote:jbabbler
I agree that the P11 is reliable. I recently upgraded from 10 round mags to 12. It seems that you have, too, and are having success with them. Any comments?
I have had problems with the P3AT. It seems to be easy to jam, needs cleaning a lot, and prone to light primer strikes. It seems to work with S&B ammo, but many other brands have too hard primers for it. On the other hand, the P32 seems very reliable.
I haven't had issues with either the 12 or 10 rounders. I admit though, I carry it with the 10 rd magazines because I can't get 12 rounds in to the 12 rd magazine comfortably. I keep the 12 (loaded with 11) as a 2nd mag.
John has a long mustache
mirother

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by mirother »

jbabbler,
Number 12 is a bear to get in alright. I do load the 12 and all mags do seem reliable.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

p64 vs keltec pf9

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, P11 and P40 conversion. The only problems were my inability to shoot a double action trigger early on. All pistole's were reliable and accurate when I finally learned to use them.
Sold the P11 and P40 conversion to purchase a Kahr PM9, not to sure that I made the correct decision. The Kahr is accurate, but not as powerful as my Cobra Patriot 45 and accuracy was similar . The P40 conversion was almost up to snuff with the Kahr for accuracy and power was superior.
When I first started shooting double action pistole's everything hit to the left and low of the bulls eye. I must be a slow study, it took me several years to learn accuracy with them. I guess that my point is that the problem was not with the pistole's, the problem was the shooter. Wish I knew what to tell you about the PF9, never fired one.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on December 6th, 2009, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.