New owner and some questions

Info, pictures, advice...
cmstigerscoach

Post by cmstigerscoach »

Evening. I just bought a P64 a couple of days ago. My wife's carry gun is a Makarov and I wanted something in the same caliber. I haven't gotten to test fire it yet. What I wanted to ask is are there any sources for spare parts still out there? I am paranoid that I will take it out and the firing pin will break or some strange thing will happen. I have the luck of a dead leprachaun.
Also, I have read a lot of you talk about the Wolff replacement springs. Are any of you shooting this gun without the springs?
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

You will get a lot of answers here but take a whole bunch of fun,well spent time and read the threads ,,,they will answer all your questions NO spare parts arount.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Welcome.
anjdrifter is correct - there are NO spare parts for these. We always suggest a 100% thorough strip and deep clean before you chamber the first round. Most issues can all be traced back to inadequate cleaning. Just because it's shiney on the outside, doesn't mean it's not packed full of cosmo on the inside.

On springs, I say shoot it a bit first, then decide if you need to swap springs. I personally shoot and carry a stock P64, and have no issues with accuracy or controlability. In fact, I love it. No new springs for me.

See you around.
stan

Post by stan »

The P64 is extremely well built and accurate as hell. I wouldn't worry about breaking anything. I never changed anything in mine, don't see any reason to.
cmstigerscoach

Post by cmstigerscoach »

I was reading one of the threads here that has paranoid me about the gun blasting apart when the trigger guard pin came loose. Of course, things like that can happen with any firearm. Just makes me a little paranoid and I have the feeling I will be checking that pin every second or third shot!
electross

Post by electross »

I have mine set up with new springs. You don't have to do this to enjoy the P64. I did it because that is a form of receation for me is to change them around and see if I like it better with the change. The best part is that if you don't like the change in trigger feel. you can always put it back. Lots of input on this subject I'm sure will be headed your way. One good argument to leave it original is that a heavier trigger makes a safer carry and home protection piece because there is a definite effort in pulling the trigger. Its all about you. What do you want from your P64? Carry? Then leave the original springs in it. If your a tinkerer. Change 'em.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

You could do a lot worse. It's a neat little package. Accurate, inexpensive, potent, not fancy. But something you can dress up and can take her anywhere and not be ashamed. Real easy on the eyes. Kind'a like a Barbra Mandrell that shoots.
cmstigerscoach

Post by cmstigerscoach »

I will be using this for carry, but also for recreational shooting. 9mm Mak is running pretty cheap around here right now (about $10 a box) so I can afford to shoot it a lot more than I could the .380 I used to have or the .45 I sold to get the P64. I liked its small size so that I can carry it in my pocket if necessary. I really wish they were C&R. It would have saved me a lot of money.
I agree with the comment on the hard double action. It really does make you think "Do I really mean to pull this trigger?" The safety on the P64 is solid as well. I still haven't gotten to take it our and shoot it yet, but I am looking forward to it so I can compare it to my wife's Makarov.
desertdave

Post by desertdave »

Howdy cmstigerscoach! I too share your concern about parts, but that did not slow me down from grabbing a new 1977 P-64 from I.O.Inc last summer. After finding a factory-new Kel-Tec PF11 unreliable for a carry piece (it literally started coming apart after 32 rounds-factory was shocked I tell you, shocked!), I settled on the 64 for its diminutive size and solid construction. It always goes boom and feeds whatever I give it including Hornady HP rounds! I did put in a 22# Wolff spring and a 20# Wolff hammerspring, after reading all the good advice here. Finally, I wrapped it with a Hogue Handall Jr.......I find the combination much less violent to shoot.....The 22# Recoil Spring was/is a bearcat, even ground down slightly to make it fit, when it comes time to do cleanup! It takes all I have to pull it back far enough to get it to fit, but the guys on the Board are right! The 22# Recoli Spring is a Godsend.....Before that, I got a good spanking with each outing......Now a box of shells is no big deal.....Its a pussycat (good thing, eh?), Since we need to really KNOW our carry weapon.....I'll be watching for parts, but someone said get a spare for parts...Seems like a necessary evil of using a P-64 today.....DesertDave