Just got another one...

Info, pictures, advice...
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Just got another one...

Post by space »

I just picked up another one today.

It's a 1973 model w/triangle hammer. Looks unissued and it came with a spare mag, book, cleaning rod and box of ammo for $190. Dealer said he gets them from SOG but I guess he needs to make a buck. Most dealers around here charge $35 per gun FFL transfer so I guess I didn't do too bad.

The DA trigger pull on this one is a LOT harder than the 1969 version I got a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember if the first one was that strong when I got it and has just broken in a bit. (only 200 rounds so far) Shoot mostly SA so it's no big deal anyway.

The shop had a couple of FEG PA-63's for $210 each. They are a bit larger and fit my hands better but seem cheaply made. Mags were hard to get in and out of both of the ones they had. They were pretty though.

When I got home, my case of Wolf ammo was waiting for me ;D Good day all around.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just got another one...

Post by abwehr »

The first P-64 I bought came from my local gun dealer and I paid $149 + 5% tax, The second one was $165 OTD at a local gun show (December 2005) and the last one this month was $180 OTD from the same dealer at a gun show as the second one. The highest I have seen them is a gun shop near Charleston, SC for $225!

My local dealer does a transfer for $20, so if I ordered one from SOG at $140, +shipping and transfer, I would have about $170 in the pistol. Being able to pick out what you buy is worth a little extra to me. My next P-64 purchase will be the first and last year of production. It would be neat to buy one from each year of production too.

My dealer has the PA-63 for $179 (close) and I looked at them 2 weeks ago, but did not buy. I really just do not like the two-tone color, but that is just a personnal thing with me, LOL!
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Just got another one...

Post by space »

Just took the new one and did the "stuck it in the oven" deal to clean the cosmoline (sp?) from it. It's super clean now and the trigger is a lot better. Especially right at the end of the pull. It had been binding up and was very hard to fire in DA mode. There must have been some hardened crap in the trigger.

Saw a post on here somewhere telling how to get the cosmoline off. Works good

Warning: Don't stick it in the oven with the grips on.
Last edited by space on March 14th, 2006, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Just got another one...

Post by abwehr »

space,

Yea, the oil they preserve the pistol in seems to prevent rust real well, byt it sure is not a lubricant, LOL. The oven trick worked great; during the summer months in South Carolina, I put them on my deck for about 3-4 hours and you can't handle them without gloves they are so hot. That doea a great job with cosmoline too.