Hogue Handall Jr. Success!

Info, pictures, advice...
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

I just installed a Hogue Handall Jr. on my P-64.

I heated up a cup of water (HOT!) and let the grip sleeve soak for a few minutes, then fished it out, put a bit of soft soap in it, and it slipped right on. When the soap dries, I expect that the grip sleeve will be solid and snug. The sleeve went on a lot easier than I have heard about in some other forum postings.

I already like how the slim (original) P-64 grip fills my hand better with the Hogue on it. Not bad for an under $7 mod (plus shipping.)
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

i used a pachmayr slip on grip for ppk clones..had to fight it a bit, but she gave in and it has done wonders for my grip.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I heated the Handal jr. on the dash board, used WD-40 on the inside of the sleeve. 'Went on slicker than snot on a door knob' Then had to take it off when I received the grips from Dennis. But, if not for the new grips Id still have the Handal jr. on it, was really great. I kept it just in case.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Don't be surprised if you find some surface rust under that sucker when you take it off. The water/soap that you left under the rubber is most likely going to find something to start eating on.
John has a long mustache
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

I use hairspray to get slip on grips mounted. This is a trick I learned while replacing grips on Mountain Bikes. It works for some reason. Anyway, now I just cut a section of used bicycle tire tube (from a bike shop) as a slip on grip and then place the larger regular Handall slip on grips over that and they are snug enough.
Last edited by blackblade on June 8th, 2009, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

jbabbler wrote:Don't be surprised if you find some surface rust under that sucker when you take it off. The water/soap that you left under the rubber is most likely going to find something to start eating on.
I'm glad I just "dry slipped" it on because I would of never thought of that.
rockbottom12

Post by rockbottom12 »

you can also use a hairdryer.
desertdave

Post by desertdave »

I just did the boiling water pre-heat of the Handall Jr. and on it went. It was a bit tight and I had to work one side, then the other, but boy, is it ever nice! GREAT idea, Guys!......Thanks! DesertDave ;D
critter

Post by critter »

I have the Handall Jr on both of my PA-63s and really like them. It seems to me they are harder to got off than on.
justaguy

Post by justaguy »

I would be worried about rust issues with putting them on wet as well. Just my two cents.