Day Planner as a holster.

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
sullivan

Post by sullivan »

<---First Post

I was reading on the Seecamp forums about people converting day planners into holsters for not on the body use. Personally I wouldn't carry a gun this way as anything that isn't clipped strapped or leashed to my person is guaranteed to be lost sooner or later but I can see how this might work for people who have to wear clothing that doesn't conceal well or in an office setting. I'm curious if anyone here has done this with a P-64 or other similar sized gun. Something that could also be used and would be less likely to be snatched in a public place would be a bible cover. The one advantage I could see is having the extra room for a spare mag, box of ammo and a small cleaning kit.

Another question is, has anybody used a nylon holster for a multi-tool as a mag pouch? Sometimes the most obvious place to hide something is right out in plain sight.

When finances allow and I finally obtain my P-64 I intend to have both IWB and pocket holsters. The pocket holster is so I can take it on and off easily. I work in health care and it really wouldn't be appropriate for me to have a CCW on me. The IWB would be for my days off where I can wear it all day.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

I have never heard of using a day planner. I suppose it could be done, but I would be curious to see how the gun, mags, and cleaning kit are secured. Then there is the issue of how quickly can the gun be gotten to when the need arises. Most day planners I have seen have a zipper closure.
sullivan

Post by sullivan »

There are actually several manufacturers making this type of holster not just home brews. Google "Day Planner Holster" and you'll see what I mean.

Here's a picture of Dillon Precision's version.
Link - http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/ ... ay_Planner

As for the ease of access question, my idea would be to make the end of the planner false which would require some reworking of the sewing. I would un-stitch the zipper where it meets the cover and back the section of zipper with a semi stiff strip of plastic bent into an L bracket shape so that when you hit it with your fingers and hinges out of the way, not unlike the dust cover on a floppy drive, not an elegant solution but serviceable.

The more I think about it, I still wouldn't like this as a CC solution, but this might be a nice way to carry a gun to the range or in your vehicle as everything is so nicely organized in the case.
Last edited by sullivan on June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

perhaps the zipper can be replaced with something like a strap that snaps the planner closed?