Got Another One!

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got Another One!

Post by abwehr »

Thanks for the support guys! I also did War Between the States (Civil War for Yankees, LOL) reenacting with an artillery unit (Palmetto Light Artillery) years ago. We had 4 full size Napolean cannons and they were a blast to shoot. Even us Confererates would get name calling when were reenacting above the Mason-Dixon Line. Most of this was that "the war is over, we won and freed the slaves" "you Southerners only fought to keep the slaves and you can be the Masters", etc.

These portrayals are history, and as "xellos" stated, "if you forget history, it "is cyclical and if we don't remember and learn from our mistakes, it'll come back and bite us in the butt... Reenactments help us to remember, IMHO, and give us a view from both sides... Nothing burns my butt more than the people who want to forget or ignore the bad parts of history, or act like it didn't happen...
bartos061

Got Another One!

Post by bartos061 »

Hi.
abwehr
First variations was made from 1964 to 1971 it has round hammer
Second variations was made from 1971 to 1973 it has modified hammer(but still round) and trigger bar( changes are only seen when do you compare two types of parts )
From 1972 this version has "A" stamp on the left side of pistol.
Third variations was made from 1973 to 1977 when the last one was produced :-[ . It has triangle hammer.

There was one more variation - In 1967 were made a few for 9mm short. In Poland are known two pistols in this caliber at the moment. I think that the rest were destroyed like many others weapon in Poland >:(

Merry Christmas everyone
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got Another One!

Post by abwehr »

bartos061,

WOW, thanks for the information you just posted. I knew about the Round Hammer and the Triangular Hammer, but was not aware there was a Second Variation. I have a 1967 and just bought a 1977 last weekend. Now I must look for a Second Variation from 1971 to 1973!

You certainly are a great source of information!!!!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got Another One!

Post by abwehr »

The guys on the MG42 Forum want me to be "promoted" up to at least a Seargent and get some more "Citations". Next show I may upgrade my rank, and add a Tank Destroyer badge since the uniform is Artillery. I will wear my "Y" Straps and my Luger to help the Impression.
xelloss

Got Another One!

Post by xelloss »

abwehr, if ya lived closer, I'd loan you my unfired ac 44 P.38 (came in as part of a shipment from Hungary still in the packing crate :o :o :o) and 1943-dated holster that I picked up a couple of years back... Thing looks like it just came out of the factory... ;D ;D ;D Just wish my 1917 Luger looked as good...

-Mark
Last edited by xelloss on December 21st, 2005, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got Another One!

Post by abwehr »

xelloss,

Thanks for the offer! You have an unfired Walther 1944, that is NICE! I also have a number of P.38s with some being close to mint, but none that appear unfired. Keep that one SAFE, is worth a small mint today! It always amazes me that firearms, and other items, can be found from a war that was over 60 years ago still in mint condition. I know that in 1945, all items were still being manufactured, but the problem was getting them to the front lines. Since most rail traffic had ceased late in the war, I read that they had to attempt delivery with trucks and any other means to get them out of the factories. I have read stories from veterans that up to the minute they arrived at a factory, firearms were in production. An amazing feat under the conditions they were working in!
novgarod

Got Another One!

Post by novgarod »

I am pulling back this early thread for reference: Bartosz gave us a post describing the three variations of P-64s. The 1973 - 77 models normally have the triangular hammer

Chipsndukes, under "Polish collection for sale", describes his recent purchase, a 1974 with a ROUND hammer - are we seeing some aberrations? And if so, are they rare? :o
Last edited by novgarod on March 5th, 2006, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got Another One!

Post by abwehr »

novgarod,

That is a good point you brought yp about the 1974 with the Round Hammer! I remember reading it and said to myself I need to check it out, but I was out of town, very busy and I forgot!

I need to make the information from Bartos on the Three (3) variations a sticky too! Thanks for bringing this one back up.
novgarod

Got Another One!

Post by novgarod »

Abwehr, it may be that the "A" on the left side (Re: Bartos) may be given greater weight that a second modification has been made rather than looking at the hammer type during 1971-73. I have have codified some P-64 data below after sifting thru the major gun internet sites as well as our forum:

Hammer type (Round or Triangular)
Date Round Triangular
1967 1 0
1968 2 0
1969 1 0
1970 2 1
1971 4 1
1972 2 2
1973 0 4
1974 1* 4
* reported by Chipsndukes on our forum

Currently, I have not seen any triangular hammers on 1969 or earlier CZAKs; likewise, only triangular hammers on 1975 and later models. This is getting quite interesting! :D
Last edited by novgarod on March 5th, 2006, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Got Another One!

Post by abwehr »

The updated information is greatly appreciated and I will add your research to the "sticky" on the variations! One good thing is information gathered from examples is tough to beat.

We need some type form that can be completed that gives all the information on any particular pistol and be able to corrolate the data into a useable form for collectors and shooters. I may give a shot at this, but since I am out of town for the next 2 weeks, this will be tight on my time. I will give a shot at making a draft form first for review by you guys. In the meantime, give me a list of what you think needs to be on the form. We know we will need the following: serial number (last 2 digits as XX), variation from known data, condition when purchased, spare magazine, are magazine/s matching, proof stamps, inspection stamps, etc., what else????

This will be a a great data bank!