Astra 400

Use this section for all other firearms
crzbiker

Astra 400

Post by crzbiker »

I'm thinking of buying an Astra model 400 1921. These pistols are bored in 9mm Largo. I have been told that it will also chamber 38ACP and 38 Special.
Anyone got any idea if this is so? :o
Instigator/Conservative Underground
pshootr

Astra 400

Post by pshootr »

.38 ACP I can see. It is a semi-rimmed round intended for semi-auto pistols. .38 Special is a fully rimmed round intended for revolvers only, I doubt that would work. 9mm Luger may work too, head spacing off of the extractor.
donw

Astra 400

Post by donw »

If it was my gun I would Only shoot 9mm Largo out of it. It's cheap,and available right now.Sarco,sllLc? The differences even in the 38 Super could possible screw up your extractor,so I would only shoot 9mm Largo.Santa Barbera non corrosive from 1977-1981
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Astra 400

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I've read numerous articles that advise people not to fire the 38 Super cartridge through the older Astra's that are chambered for 9mm Largo, the barrels are not designed for the pressures of the 38 Super round. It sounds like it's the type of thing you may get away with for a while before disaster strikes, with a lot of emphasis on "may".
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 14th, 2009, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
sapo60

Astra 400

Post by sapo60 »

Your Astra 400 might Chamber 38 ACP but dont think of shooting 38 Super in it ever. It wont chamber 38 Special either, Dont do it and risk ruining a neat firearm. ::)

http://www.9mmlargo.com/

When 9mm Largo ammunition was hard to find in quantity shooters regularly fired other cartridges such as the 9mm Luger, 9mm Steyr, 9mm Browning Long, etc in their 9mm Largo firearms. Many dealers and distributors also claimed the firearms would fire all of these and more. This however is not a prudent practice to engage in. The Astra 400, like all pistols firing straight walled cartridges, headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge. When a cartridge shorter than the 23mm of the 9mm Largo is used, the cartridge case cannot headspace against the end of the chamber. This leaves only the extractor to hold the cartridge case against the breechface allowing the firing pin to impact the primer. This causes excessive wear and stress on the extractor, too much freebore (the distance from the bullet to the beginning of the rifling), and scoring of the chamber walls. The result of these abnormalities can result in broken/misshapen extractors, poor accuracy, and the inability to chamber and extract correct size cases.

The use of cartridges that produce too much chamber pressure is also discouraged. Yes, the .38 Super and 9x23mm Winchester will chamber in most 9mm Largo firearms, and if they will chamber they will fire. However these rounds produce too much pressure for the metallurgy and design of the Astra 400. The Astra 400 is a straight blowback design The only thing keeping the chamber closed during firing is the recoil spring, the only thing to retard and stop rearward movement of the slide during recoil is the recoil spring, weight of the slide, and the momentary gripping of the chamber walls by the expanding cartridge case. Use of these type cartridges in the Astra 400 risks damage to the pistol and possibly yourself through a ruptured chamber, fractured slide, or fractured frame.

Ammunition in 9mm Largo is now available from a number of sources. Surplus ammunition is now coming into the country in shootable quantities and is available at some gunshops, many gunshows, and via mailorder. Factory new 9mm Largo ammunition is being made by CCI in their Blazer line (product number 3513) with a 124g Gold Dot Hollow Point bullet. If you reload RCBS makes dies in 9mm Largo (product number 56665), these are not a normally stocked item and require special order. You can also utilize 9x23mm Winchester dies to reload 9mm Largo, the exterior case dimensions are almost identical. Starline also produces virgin 9mm Largo brass for reloading. Gone are the days of manufacturing cases out of .223 Remington (done that, not fun), 9mm Winchester Magnum (done that, much easier) or other cases.
crzbiker

Astra 400

Post by crzbiker »

[quote author=sapo60 board=others thread=2443 post=26976 time=1235455926]Your Astra 400 might Chamber 38 ACP but dont think of shooting 38 Super in it ever. It wont chamber 38 Special either, Dont do it and risk ruining a neat firearm. ::)

Wow. What great information. I really have to thank you guys.
Instigator/Conservative Underground