Range day

Info, pictures, advice...
gypsydavy

Range day

Post by gypsydavy »

Put 100 rounds of silver bear and 50 rounds of S&B through the 64 today. As usual the gun performed flawlessly. My aim is improving although my best groups were my first and I seemed to digress from there. I am waiting to apply for my CCW until I feel completely confident and at ease with my gun. I'm guessing that I'm almost halfway there!

I've heard it said here before and I will repeat: It is awfully hard to get that first shot off accurately. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

My other reason for going to the range was to try out my Romanian M69 .22 training rifle. The fun in this was that I bought the gun as a pile of parts for $50. After cleaning off the cosmo, filing and fiddling with a few things, I now have an incredibly accurate and completely functional little squirrel gun.

Well, I'm off to clean the dried blood from the webbing of my right hand!
gypsydavy
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Range day

Post by anjdrifter »

a different trigger spring is mentioned by a lot of people to improve the first da shot.. at range if you rack it just use the sa
workd for me...however the pull will improve if you use the da takes along time but it does...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range day

Post by blinddog »

Keep on shootin'
brink

Range day

Post by brink »

Why wait to apply for your CCW? Apply now and practice while you wait. Depending on what state you're in it'll be a while before you get the papers back!
weetabix

Range day

Post by weetabix »

I second the advice to get the CCW now. After all, even if you have the CCW, you don't have to actually carry until you're comfortable.
redfestiva

Range day

Post by redfestiva »

I've heard it said here before and I will repeat: It is awfully hard to get that first shot off accurately. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.
gypsydavy
Since I carry the P-64 with one in the chamber and safety off, I simpley cock the hammer back , aim and fire. First shot is as managable as the next 6.
gypsydavy

Range day

Post by gypsydavy »

brink and weetabix,
I can't really argue with your logic. It's partly a timing thing. Here in TN you need to take a safety course and then apply for the permit within a certain amount of time. As my road schedule for this spring/summer is still not set, I can't be sure where I'll be. But it's also about personal responsibility for me. I grew up with rifles and shotguns in the corner and on the wall of practically every room in the house. Those weapons are like old friends. Lever, bolt, pump or semi, put a long gun in my hands and I'm comfortable, confident and deadly accurate. But I'm new to handguns and just don't feel that level yet. I'll get there, I can feel it rising. This summer I hope to do some good old outdoor shooting on the family farm (much more relaxed than the range). But again, your points about getting the paperwork moving are well taken.

As for that first shot. Here again shows my inexperience: I haven't decided yet if I will carry it revolver style (point and squeeze) or with safety on. I'm leaning towards safety off but still prefer the more predictable trigger of DA. My gunsmith changed the springs. Although I haven't asked him what #'s he used, I do like the feel just fine.

I think blinddog had the answer for me "keep shootin'"
gypsydavy
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range day

Post by grayfox »

Best of luck from a Tn buddy. Just remember in Tn you can take the course with any handgun, even a .22. Then you carry what you want. My wife used my old S&W 38sp, but carries a Kel-Tec 32 or a Glock 40.
gypsydavy

Range day

Post by gypsydavy »

Thanks grayfox, that's something to think about.

Dogwoods blooming up there yet?

gypsydavy
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Range day

Post by grayfox »

Thanks grayfox, that's something to think about.

Dogwoods blooming up there yet?

gypsydavy
Just starting, the wife an I are going to buy a couple to plant in the back yard. The bradford pears are in full bloom & the redbuds are starting. I love spring. :)