The Taming of my P-64!

Info, pictures, advice...
ecuman

The Taming of my P-64!

Post by ecuman »

I am certainly not a gun expert but over the past months, I had been reading the comments on the other forums regarding the P-64. After reading both the "love and hate" comments, I decided that I would try out this bargain priced pistol.
A few weeks ago, I orderd my P-64 from SOG with 3 mags for $139.95. The pistol was delivered promptly. I was surprised by the condition of my 1971 variant with round hammer. The pistol was beautiful and almost mint with only a few minor nichs on the slide that were easily touched up with a PRESTO gun Blue Pen. My gun has the thumb rest on the left side grip. The right side grip does have some moderate scratches. I am almost certain that my P-64 had never been fired and I plan to replace they raised grips with flat ones when available.

I cleaned and lubed the pistol and I loaded 3 mags with Wolf 100gr FMJ. The pistol, as expected, had a terrible DA pull but a very nice SA pull. Otherwise, the P-64 functioned perfectly. The recoil was strong and quite honestly, it began to hurt the web of my hand after several rounds.

After reading this forum, I replaced the hammer spring with the 16# PPK from Wolff as described at this sight. The DA was much better (simular to my Russian PM Makarov). I then fired about 50 rounds of Wolf 100gr thru my P-64 and I started having problems with the slide incompletely covering the cartridge upon initial racking & repeat firing. May mags were also popping out after the last round was fired.

Upon advice from this forum, I then installed the retro fitted HK recoil spring as also decribed on this sight. I then fired 50 rounds of Wolf 100gr with only one minor chambering issue (I think ammo related) and no mag drops. I have also fired 50 rounds of American Eagle 95gr with no chambering problems and only one last round mag drop when firing with one hand. Recoil is still strong but better and certainly manageable.

MY CONCLUSION --- I own, or have owned, a Russian Makarov PM, Russian TT33 Tok, Kel-Tec P3AT and Glock 23. If my house was on fire, I would want to save my Mint Russian Mak first since it is a keepsake to be handed down to my Russian born adopted son. If a BG was banging down my door, I would want my Glock 23 by my side. For carry, my P-64 is my choice. For me, it is the perfect combination of modest size and significant round power and I feel that I shoot it as well as my Makarov. I most certainly shoot this pistol better than the Kel-Tek. I am confident that the modifications suggested on this forum have helped my transform my P-64 into a very reliable CCW.

Thanks to the forum members for your help!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

The Taming of my P-64!

Post by abwehr »

ecuman,

Thanks for the report on your P-64! As to the Grips, they are available for $17/set and the reports are that they are great. Here is a link to the Grip thread with info on where to order: http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1136251908

Yep, this pistol is not perfect for all situations, but they have their place, nice price, and well made!