Auto-loading 12ga.

Use this section for all other firearms
barnett3006

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by barnett3006 »

My last pheasant hunt has inspired me to buy a new shotgun and I want to see if you guys had any experience with a few semi-autos I am looking at.

I want a new or like new semi-auto 12 ga with a 3" chamber and I would like to stay under $400.

3 that I have looked are:

Baikal MP-153 (3.5" chamber, http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/95.html).

Harrington and Richards Excell Auto (3" chamber, http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/excell.aspx).

Charles Daly Field Hunter VR-MC (3" chamber, http://www.charlesdaly.com/html/product ... afield.asp).

I am leaning more towards the Charles Daly but only because of their lifetime repair policy. If anyone has any experience with any of these semi-autos I would like to hear what they have to say about them.

I dont want the shotgun for mass skeet and trap shooting, just for hunting and occasional skeet shooting with friends and family. I would like to get a Benelli, Beretta, Remington 1100 or something along those lines but the price tag on those is beyond my budget.

Thanks and have a good Thanksgiving,
Marc
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by carguy »

I own a Baikal ???, O/U 12ga and love it. I use it to shoot Trap only (not a hunter) fixed chokes is the only thing that I might have liked to be able to change but I'm not good enough to need them anyways. The fit and finish is great and never a problem with function (O/U does has much fewer moving parts than an auto-loader).
I picked up a used Winchester 1200 for my son this year for around $240 and he just loves it...again Trap only.

Charles Daly does have a great warranty. Ihaven't heard anything regarding their shotguns but did hear some griping about their Browning High Power 9mm pistol's fit and finish.

I would not hesitate to recommendthe BAIKAL and I grew up with a Remington 870 and wish I still had it, that is the perverbial "classic"...you'll never go wrong with that!!
Last edited by carguy on November 22nd, 2007, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by trent »

I'm not sure what they are going for now, but I've only heard excellent reviews on the Saiga 12 (I mean come on, it's an AK shotgun)
barnett3006

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by barnett3006 »

I have handled the same model Baikal as yours carguy, if I was looking for an O/U I wouldnt hesitate to buy one ( I especially like the double triggers on yours), but with an auto-loader....eh. Because I need to stay in the low end of the semi-auto shotgun market I want to be able to get parts for it if need be.

My current shotgun is a Remmy 870 20ga that I love and wont trade for anything (full set of chokes and everything).

Trent,

Saiga's skyrocketed in price and are now floating around $500. They are no longer being imported, which sucks cause I would really like to have a Saiga 410.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by carguy »

I pikced up my O/U used (thus the double...older model...triggers) and spent about $325 in the spring on it.

But I know where you're going...good luck...maybe stick with the old 870 in 12 gauge...you already know how great it is!!
reprisejim

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by reprisejim »

I know you have indicated the dollar amount you would like to spend but... when considering an autoloader you can not go wrong with the Benelli. I know it costs a bunch but it is worth every penny. It is a gun that will last the test of time and I am sure it will be passed on to one of my sons. The design is simple and will not fail.
doyle

Auto-loading 12ga.

Post by doyle »

I had a Stoeger M2000 for a month or so. Never shot it so I can't comment on how it shoots, but it seems well made. I understand they are less than 300 new.