Post by gunneyrabbit »

+1 with you carguy!
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

tag on Milsurp GUNS AND RIFLES

Post by normsutton »

personally I don't care what a person uses to clean these guns. Use whatever works for you,
most petroleum distillates wont hurt the blueing on most guns except on painted finishes or plastic
always take grips or stocks off guns or rifles , there is Cosmolin under these too

read all label warnings on products you are going to use for cleaning and don't mix cleaners, unless you are a chemist

just as long as the gun has been cleaned of all Cosmolin before
they start to complain that the gun doesn't function right.

read tag on guns and rifles

don't believe a salesperson that the gun or rifle has been cleaned do it your self
the first thing I do when I buy a firearm wether new or used I take it apart and clean it before I ever shoot it

one more thing know your gun or rifle backwards and forwards you may have to use it to save a life

and thats my 2 cents

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

I agree 100% with NORMSUTTON. Thamks.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Me too.

Taking a new firearm apart and cleaning it is the first thing I do to Norm. It's fun and informative and you'll never really know what condition it's in until you do it.

Concerning knowing you firearm backwards and forwards - If there's one thing that makes me roll my eyes it's when I ask someone at the range how their pistol breaks down and they struggle to do it. Those folks are flat dangerous.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

nbender

couldn't agree with you more
I went to a military high school( 1964 to 1968 ) where I learn to field strip every gun and rifle in their arsenal, they drummed it in to me about making sure I knew the importance of a cleaning and the function of a weapon before ever firing a weapon.

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

Agreed guys. It is my nature to do the same thing. I get some snap caps and load up a mag with it and check the functionality of the firearm. After breakdown and cleaning of course.

I play around with the safety and hammer to test the functions and the design so I know what it can or cannot do. This is very important in a carry gun i think. I know people who take it a lot further and practice breaking down and reassembling their carry gun in the dark. When I asked why, they said you never know when you might need to and it further familiarizes with the firearm.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Lets see, 1,2,3,4, ok, +5 with Norm & nbender.

I was a army brat and learned from my father the importance of knowing your weapon and how to handle it safely at all times, however, my mom wouldn't allow guns in the house though. My only venue to handle guns was my dad was a National Guard company commander after WWII and in my youth I got to go to the range in those days [50's] and qualify every 6 mo's when the company qualified on the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and the government model .45. When I went to college I enrolled in the ROTC program, that and American History and chapel was what kept my grade average up so they wouldn't, kick me out......... ;D but by then I could field strip all the above mentioned weapons blind folded. So for me, its extremely important to not only know [all] my weapons but also to keep them at the ready at all times. Call me paranoid, excessive, or just plain nuts about my weapons, but I love to take care of them and pamper them, even the ones hanging on the walls. They come down and get a cleaning at least once a year.

Thanks especially to you two [Norm & nbender] and many others as well for their comments and opinions on this board. We all have the God given ability to choose our own path in life, some of us do a better job of it than others, that's only natural, for myself, I have made many mistakes, but I'd like to think I have learned from them, and try not to repeat them. None of us are perfect, but if we try to live and let live and give the other person the right to their opinion, then so be it, life is to short to worry about the small stuff, and its shorter for some of us than others....... :'(

39 years ago for me, we had a saying that referred to the only important thing was to make it back home alive, everything else was unimportant. I know some here know that saying, but for those that don't know; "It Don't Mean Nothing"
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Hayden I remember that one...and of course a couple of others....like
oh s@#$ ,,,duc.... fta .... the least favorite of all INCOMING
Milsurp stuff it is mandatory to clean and know ...at least in my 2 cents worth. never really know where or what its been exposed too.

I thank all the posters here .I have always thought I was a little too annal with the clean and maintaining now I know there are others .
I might be paranoid also, but I believe in loaded guns nearby (safely done) and do carry quite often, now more then ever before..it is not Kansas anymore toto(spelling??)..or the days when all was right with the world.,yes I remember paa diddle,my sister always wanted to cheat..going for Italian ice in the neighborhood, sitting on the steps. anyway clean,respect, and carry that is my credo.

with that all said still believe in good and two wolves.
Last edited by anjdrifter on September 13th, 2007, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Hayden I remember that one...and of course a couple of others....like
oh s@#$ ,,,duc.... fta .... the least favorite of all INCOMING
Milsurp stuff it is mandatory to clean and know ...at least in my 2 cents worth. never really know where or what its been exposed too.

I thank all the posters here .I have always thought I was a little too annal with the clean and maintaining now I know there are others .
I might be paranoid also, but I believe in loaded guns nearby (safely done) and do carry quite often, now more then ever before..it is not Kansas anymore toto(spelling??)..or the days when all was right with the world.,yes I remember paa diddle,my sister always wanted to cheat..going for Italian ice in the neighborhood, sitting on the steps. anyway clean,respect, and carry that is my credo.

with that all said still believe in good and two wolves.
+1

bZ.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Those are some good words.