Privi Partizan Problem w/my CZ82

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
Donzi

Privi Partizan Problem w/my CZ82

Post by Donzi »

I recently noticed a problem w/my CZ82-it won't load Privi ammo(the ones w/a brass case) into the chamber from either of my original Czech military mags. I've tried everything I could think of, even replacing the extractor & spring w/new units from CZ(expensive!) and having a very experienced gunsmith go over it & polish the ramp. Still no luck. I'd already replaced the recoil spring, and the pistol seems to work just fine w/Brown Bear & some old Seliot & Bellot(sp?)brass ammo that I have. This is a problem f/me, since most of the affordable/available 9mm Mak ammo I can find locally & online tends to be Privi. I have 2 questions: 1. Has anyone else here had this problem?
2. If so, were you able to solve it(and how)?
Thanks in advance.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Privi Partizan Problem w/my CZ82

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

Is this with PPU FMJ or JHP? I've never had any problems with FMJ, but have read where a lot of prople have had problems with 9X18 JHP of various brands.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

It's full metal jacket. I've never had much luck firing any JHPs in military pistols.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Strange. My vz.82 eats PPU, S&B and Fiocchi (all FMJ) like candy.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Are the bullets rounded or conical on the end?

I had problems with Wolf due to the shape of the bullet.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

They're pretty much rounded, Curley. Maybe it's the mags, although they seem OK w/the other ammo.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I hate to say it, but are you SURE that it's 9x18 Makarov ammunition?

Check the base stamps.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Yes, it's 9x18mm.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Donzi wrote:Yes, it's 9x18mm.
Don't forget that not all 9X18 is 9X18 Makarov. There's also some 9X18 Ultra and 9X18 Police floating around. What you want should plainly say "9X18 Makarov" or "9X18 Mak".
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Wow, 9x18mm does not mean it's Makarov ammo! However of all the 9x18, Makarov is the thickest, although not advised the Ultra and Police probably would cycle.

I'm more suspicious of your barrel. Have you had the chamber checked for spacing? Where did you get this CZ-82? I know that just within the last few years Century imported a few that had their barrels replaced with American barrels. Maybe you got one of those. Do you have Polygonal or conventional rifling?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Weasel640 wrote:
Wow, 9x18mm does not mean it's Makarov ammo! However of all the 9x18, Makarov is the thickest, although not advised the Ultra and Police probably would cycle.

I'm more suspicious of your barrel. Have you had the chamber checked for spacing? Where did you get this CZ-82? I know that just within the last few years Century imported a few that had their barrels replaced with American barrels. Maybe you got one of those. Do you have Polygonal or conventional rifling?

In my case it does, since the red, white & blue PPU box specifically says 9mm Makarov. My entire pistol has been gone over thoroughly by a local gunsmith w/50+ years in business. He polished the feed ramp & said nothing further seemed out of order w/the pistol, other than that 1 mag seemed to feed a little better than the 2nd. I got mind from AIM about 5 years ago & it has its original s/n matching polygonal lined hard-chromed barrel. & it performs perfectly, except f/the PPU thing.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Do you have another Makarov chambered firearm? If so, will the PPU chamber in it?

Another "I hate to ask" but is the barrel a .380ACP bbl, swapped out for the original 9x18?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

lklawson wrote:
Do you have another Makarov chambered firearm? If so, will the PPU chamber in it?

Another "I hate to ask" but is the barrel a .380ACP bbl, swapped out for the original 9x18?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Yes, I have a Polish P64 & it seems to work just fine w/PPU. No, it's not .380> As I said earlier the gunsmith went over it & said that it's okay, mechanically. Also, aren't the .380 barrels conventional lands & grooves? The pistol seems to work perfectly w/other brands of ammo, which I can't find locally, much less on the net. Finally, the PPU 9mm Mak ammo fits the chamber just fine, if I hand-load it into the chamber. Maybe the casings are slightly oversize? I know that PPU has a reputation f/having some of the thickest (wall thickness) 30-06 & Brit .303 shells on the market, which is why re-loaders like them. Maybe this pistol just works better w/steel case ammo? I recently read that the Polish police bought 10K new duty pistols from Germany, so maybe we'll be seeing some P-83s here sometime in the near future. I hope so, as I'm ready to trade the CZ f/one now. Anyway, thanks to all f/your interesting input.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Donzi wrote:Yes, I have a Polish P64 & it seems to work just fine w/PPU. No, it's not .380> As I said earlier the gunsmith went over it & said that it's okay, mechanically. Also, aren't the .380 barrels conventional lands & grooves? The pistol seems to work perfectly w/other brands of ammo, which I can't find locally, much less on the net. Finally, the PPU 9mm Mak ammo fits the chamber just fine, if I hand-load it into the chamber. Maybe the casings are slightly oversize? I know that PPU has a reputation f/having some of the thickest (wall thickness) 30-06 & Brit .303 shells on the market, which is why re-loaders like them. Maybe this pistol just works better w/steel case ammo? I recently read that the Polish police bought 10K new duty pistols from Germany, so maybe we'll be seeing some P-83s here sometime in the near future. I hope so, as I'm ready to trade the CZ f/one now. Anyway, thanks to all f/your interesting input.
Have you checked the mags too inside and out? Maybe disassemble the mags and give them a good cleaning. Maybe see if he can polish the underside of the feed lips as well.

Could you elaborate on the feed problem? Is it not feeding the very first manually loaded round? Or is it during the feed cycle of the consecutive rounds that the problem occurs? Also how are the casings oriented when the malfunction occurs? Could it be that the mag springs are getting week and not advancing the rounds before the slide cycles past? Getting a new mag to try is no more expressive than the work/parts you've already tried, plus you'll have an extra mag.

Where do you live? I make trips up to the Nova area and have seen other brands of Makarov up there. You said Brown Bear and Seliot & Bellot work, I'm not sure why you aren't able to find more online. Try these sights: http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/9x18+%2528Makarov%2529 and http://gunbot.net/ammo/9x18

As far as P-83s go, they are already available. I see them at Gander Mt. all the time, they ask $350. Also your local FFL can order one for you from SOG. They have them in stock for as little as $240 plus whatever your FFL charges.

Also you should check out the Makarov and CZ forum over at gunboards. If you widen your audience, targeting more people that shoot PPU and CZ-82s you may find someone who has solved this problem.
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdispla ... arov-Forum and http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdispla ... pons-Board
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

I agree with Weasel. It has to be something to do with the magazines - either the lips or the followers. If your smith checked the bottom of the slide and the ramp, it sounds like you've exhausted all the other possibilities.