The Polish Wanad P-83

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
blackblade

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by blackblade »

I got out to the gun club this afternoon to test out the P-83. It was about 40F, a little overcast and windy.

I took a few examples of my 9x18 (Makarov) guns for a comparison:

(Left to Right: Polish P-83, Polish P-64, Hungarian RK-59, CZ-82 and E. German Makarov)

Front view

I came in close (15 yards) for the head shots and further back for the torso shots (two mags each):

The P-83 15 yards:

The P-83 at 25 yards:

The gun fired and functioned flawlessly. It was much better than I had hoped or expected with relatively little noticeable recoil. The mag release on the heel of the grip was a pleasant surprise as it popped the magazines out effortlessly unlike the clumsy spring pressure release on the Polish P-64 guns making for a quick swap out between magazines.

If all the Polish P-83 are as nice as this one then I would wholeheartedly recommend these guns to everyone. In fact I have ordered another one ("one is none and two is one"). I guess I would rank these right along with the East German Makarovs for quality and function and may even give the slight edge to the P-83 for quality, function and accuracy. The only thing I may do is perhaps paint the front sight for easier and quicker target acquisition but otherwise it is a nearly perfect sidearm imo.

- Black Blade
stover

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by stover »

Outstanding, thanks for the review. Looks to be about the size of the Makarov, is it noticeably lighter or on par with your mak?
blackblade

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by blackblade »

stover wrote:Outstanding, thanks for the review. Looks to be about the size of the Makarov, is it noticeably lighter or on par with your mak?
Close to the same. Granted the E. German-Bulgarian Makarovs look nicer (at least to me), however, these guns just "feel right" in my hands and are a real pleasure to shoot. I'm sold and am oredering another one.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by normsutton »

blackblade

excellent report

thanks

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Sgt P

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by Sgt P »

Blackblade,
Excellent range time! I am going to the gun show today to see if any of the dealers have a P-83 for sale. If not J & G will get my order. Thanks for sharing. You have some superb 9 X 18 pistols.
Sgt P.
dom

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by dom »

Thank You for the review and range report. Very nice looking collection of 9x18s, and also some fine shooting!
fivepointstar

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by fivepointstar »

Excellent!!! P-83 is on hte short list and this helps. Always wondered how it faired Vs the EG.
blackblade

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by blackblade »

I liked the first one so much that I added a couple more to the collection.

oppy

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by oppy »

Can anyone elaborate on the build quality of the P83? I have read that parts are stamped with welds. Implicit in the comments I have read elsewhere is that, while an improvement over the P64, is is of lesser quality.

I really like my P64, so it is not as if my standards are unreasonably high. I just want to make sure I buy decent quality...
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
davebaird

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by davebaird »

I happened to be at Dans Ammo when the crate of P83's were there. For all it's worth at least for now, J&G will be the only distributor. Unless they sell bulk to dealers who would raise the price a bit for profit, your best bet, again...at least for now, would be J&G.

I note there must be at least two variations, ones with a Novak-style rear site and maybe a Polish eagle that made it into the country awhile ago, and these now that J&G have, basic military surplus without the eagle or fancy sights. I like the looks of the standard round hammer on the earlier imported ones than the boomerang style on the military surplus. But, c'est la vie!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!! Dave
Last edited by davebaird on November 26th, 2009, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by martilyo »

Thanks for the info, guys. I was thinking about buying one, now I'll make the move for sure!
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by martilyo »

Update: Just placed my order! Can't wait to shoot my new toy!!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Are there any specs available, weight of the pistol, barrel length, number of rounds and so forth?
Inquiring minds want to know.
G.R.
paddlingman

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by paddlingman »

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg143-e.htm

Weight unloaded: 730 g
Length: 165 mm
Barrel length: 90 mm
Capacity: 8 rounds
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Polish Wanad P-83

Post by dfunk »

or for US comparison...
Weight unloaded: 25.75 oz
Length: 6.5"
Bbl length: 3.54"

Anyone measure the trigger pull with a scale yet? Also, should we create a new section for the P83?