Trigger Dissasembly/Reassembly

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

I was fiddling with my newest acquisition, a 1975 P-64, cleaning, oiling, etc. Today I took the grips off and was wiping it up when I noticed that the trigger bar (long bar piece, sorry for inaccurate nomenclature) was coming off after a DA pull.

I wasn't quite sure why this was happening (and still am not, but that's not the point) and decided that something was wrong with the trigger spring. I decided to remove the trigger and take a look. That's where things got complicated...

I punched the trigger pin out, this is easy. With everything out, you can see how it works: The trigger spring "bottom" rests against the trigger itself, and the "top" against the housing of the trigger. If you are this far, you can see that the trigger bar has two pins; one engages he trigger directly, and one seems to hold the "top" of the trigger spring in a slot for tension. This is the bugger!

How to get the trigger back in place? I spent a few hours, a few beers, and some Joe Satriani tunes to finally figure it out.

The key is that you need to get the spring set properly in the trigger mechanism before even reassembling it - impossible, I thought after fighting it, but quite simple after I worked on it:

1) lay the trigger spring on the trigger correctly, put a punch tool through the hole that holds the spring (and where the trigger pin eventually goes).

2) take 1/4 inch of a Q-tip, and insert it part way into the hole that the trigger bar will eventually reside.

3) bend the "top" part of the spring past the Q-tip, and engage the Q-tip so it holds the spring. You now have the spring set in the trigger mechanism. Sweet!

4) insert the trigger, and slowly pull out the punch tool. Line up the trigger pin hole carefully.

5) grab the trigger pin and drop it. Repeat and drop again in the excitement. Repeat above steps as necessary, and eventually somehow work the pin back in where it belongs. Pull out piece of Q-tip.

If you have done this, it seems like you would also have removed the trigger bar earlier as well. The last step involves installing the trigger bar correctly into the pin from the trigger, also (pretty important) engaging the "top" of the trigger spring so it catches in the slot of the 2nd pin in the trigger bar to provide tension. The trick here is:

1) insert a sharp tool from the other side to engage the tension end of the spring. Bend the spring back and push the sharp in to hold it.

2) place the trigger bar engaging the trigger. Pull out the sharp tool and let the spring find the slot (hopefully).

I put the pistol back together after this, and all was well. Too bad I didn't take pictures; if it happens again I will. FWIW, I'm just some dolt with a gun, just an average handy-type guy, so anyone can probably do this. Er, don't do it unless you HAVE to though. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

[edit, added some images]

Last edited by stibnite on May 29th, 2006, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

stibnite,

Thanks for the great explanation on the disassembly/assembly of the Trigger Spring. This lloks like it need to be a "Stickey" so we will have it for future refence.

I certainly understand step No. 5, this is SOP for me, LOL!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

It's alot easyer if you take the slide stop off when trying to put spring in and trigger bar on

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 17th, 2007, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

NORMSUTTON,

You're probably right, it would give some access from the other side. My biggest problem though was getting the trigger spring tensioned, into the housing, and the trigger pin back in. Do you think there is an easy way to do this?

Stib
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Stib

I like the pictures

It takes me about 15min tto get trigger and sping in I use a taperd punch on trigger bar side of gun then wigel the trigger till I can get trigger pin in then take a very small screw driver and pull down on the top part of the spring then put the trigger bar into place
then let go of spring under the post of the trigger bar. When taken off the slide stop do it in a plastic bag that you can get both hands in so you don't lose the slide stop spring I have to order some wire stock for that spring then I can make them too .

can you put a picture of the slid stop and spring lik the one of the trigger bar

The frist time I took mine apart it took me 4 to 5 hours
then I took the slide stop off then it took me 45 min. to get it all back together

thank you

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

I think the image below is the slide stop. This is a cropped image from a larger exploded view which were downloaded from this site a while ago. Not sure where now.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Stib

That's it , I have the blow up but when I crop it it get to fuzzie to post.

THANK YOU

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Great Information guys, Thanks for this!
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Hi:

Well, I took the q-tip step one further. I used pieces of q-tip swab stick to hold BOTH parts of trigger spring in place. Then it's a simple matter to move the trigger and spring into place, press the trigger pin in (pushing the swab stick out), then remove the other small piece holding the "tail" of the spring, if it hasn't already come out.

Much easier than using 3 hands to jockey the trigger, spring, etc. into place and pressing the pin in.

Figured this out after 2 evenings of cursing, finding lost spring, screwing up 1 replacement spring, etc.

Still have my CZAK in pieces, waiting on Wolff springs.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

4bfox
didn't I send you instruction to put the trigger return spring in if you fallow the instructions it should take you 15 to 20 min.
I can do them now under 15 min
my phone # is on the instruction give me a call if the line is busy email me tell me your trying call me and I'll get or email me your phone # and I'll call you

I'm always glad to help

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Norm.....I had no problems with your trigger and slide stop springs, other than I cut one off too short......and your instructions were OK for removing and reinstalling the springs.

I just had a problem holding the trigger assembly together and sliding it back into place, then reinserting the pin without everything flying apart.

What worked for me was using 2 pieces of cotton swab stick through the holes in the trigger, to hold the spring in place while getting the trigger back in place. Then push the pin back through the frame and trigger, which pushes out the stick. Worked great for me.....I seem to be all thumbs at 11 or so at night when I work on stuff like this.

And I'm still leaving my CZAK in pieces for the hammer spring and recoil springs that will hopefully be coming next week. And your trigger spring, which I cut off about 1/4 inch too much. It takes me 2-3 tries to get these things right sometimes.....oh well, if I wasn't messing with my guns and computer, I'd probably be hanging out in a bar or something.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

BEN
if you don't have a tapeard punch use an ice pick

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Norm....tried a small nail, but it kept getting in the way when I was sliding the trigger assembly back in. That's when I got the idea of using 2 small pieces of swab stick to hold the spring in place. Like I said, I'm all thumbs with stuff like this....made it much easier for me.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I needed the instructions for installing a trigger spring. Tks. However, can anyone tell me where I can get a new one. Was shooting today and mine broke ( 1968 model) ! Any help will be greatly appreciated because I wanna go shoot some more.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on May 23rd, 2007, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage