Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Stan,
Thanks for the information, I think I'll stick to taking the frame apart and smooth and polish everything associated with the trigger but not mess with the sear faces at all. I was hoping not to have to pull the lower end apart but it is sounding more like where I'm heading. Has there been any exploded diagrams for the P64 written in English along with stripping information that anyone is aware of? It would sure help. ................................G.R.
saands

Post by saands »

I have tried the 14# spring and it fired all the rounds that I fed it ... it also let the mag fall out with warmer loads. I went back to the 16# and eventually have replaced them all with 19# springs. Reliability (in terms of holding the mag where it needs to be) is better with the heavier springs and the 19# is still a reasonable DA IMHO.

Hope this helps,

Saands
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep mine stock until the springs wear out.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I have had 3 different wolf springs in my P-64 and I now have a factory spring in my pistol. The factory spring has performed with the greatest amount of reliability and that is the most important thing for me.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Got my springs from Wolff on Friday, ordered 16 lb. and 19 lb. springs, got 16 lb. and 17 lb. instead. I installed the 17 lb. spring this morning and what a difference it made in the double action trigger pull. I'm going to the range next Monday and I will do a range report when I return.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on February 28th, 2007, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Took my pistole to the range today for the first time with a new 17lb. Wolff spring in place and I had no problems regarding the mag. but here is the rub, I shot 95gr. Fiocci and PMC ammunition without a hitch. Shot three box's of Wolf ammo with three failures to fire from one box with what looked like light strikes. Second strikes ignited each round.
I believe that the ammunition was the problem, however; I will do a lot more shooting be for I will carry the pistole with the reduced power spring and may go to a 20lb. Walther spring if it turns out to be the culprit. Double action pull is hugely improved and accuracy is excellent. Doing speed drills I had no problem keeping double, triple and seven round taps in the chest cavity at three and four yards. My best string at four yards was one in the head and six in the chest, the spread in the chest being less than six inches shooting as fast as I could. Shooting for accuracy my best seven round group measured just under six inches at the full length of our twenty-five yard indoor range, average groups being under eight inches shooting off hand. I don't know about you guys but I think this little pistole is very accurate, almost as accurate as my PA63 that I have owned and shot for some time now. With more time to the range with this excellent little pistol it may very well prove to be even more accurate than I think. The 17lb. spring is another matter, only time will tell. For the first time out I am very impressed ...........................G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 6th, 2007, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Gunney, it's the Wolf ammo(primers). Perennial problem that many have had with it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I agree with STAN 100% the QC of wolf ammo sucks canal water, sure wouldn't bet my life on it,and I sure wouldn't fast fire it or any of their ammo to many mishaps
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks guys thats good info., I'll stick to using Wolf ammo. at the range only. How about the other Russian and Chinese ammo. that I see periodically advertised at some of the gun links. I note that Braunel, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tiger and several other names that I cant remember at the moment seem to be popping up all over the place. Have you guys tried any of them and are they reliable or just range ammo.?...................... G.R.
P.S. I love my new little Polish partner!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

I can say that the silver bear is great. I have shot thousands of rds thru a mac11 380 without a hitch. I have shot it in other calibers also. I would not hesitate to use it as a defence load, althro I like the new 70gr pow-r-ball.
Last edited by grayfox on March 7th, 2007, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruff53

Post by bruff53 »

I found this board while looking for information about changing springs in a P-64 and I found some great help. Thanks to all that contribute here. I recently picked up two P-64s and found them to be a bit harsh at the range. I didn't buy them with the intent of spending hours at the range but I want to shoot them enough to be comfortable with them. Besides, it is just fun to see what you can do to improve a situation. Therefore, I just installed a Wolff 22# recoil spring and the 18# Hammer Spring. I also ordered recoil springs and hammer springs for my FEG P-63 (which frankly I found to be worse than the PA-64s) and recoil springs for my Russian Makarov. The CZ-82 I will leave as is. The CZ-82 is what pointed out to me that there was room for improvement with the other 9X18 pistols that I own.

I'd like to offer a suggestion that worked very well for me. When replacing the hammer spring, prior to pressing the Mag release down to compress the hammer spring, I wrapped a nylon wire tie strap around the frame and pin. I tightened it just enough to keep the pin close to but not against the frame. This was to maintain control of the pin and the spring while still allowing the mag release to move down and into position. Once the mag release was in position, I tightened the tie strap to hold the spring and mag release in position while I slipped the pin in to secure the mag release in the frame. Using the tie straps allowed me to jiggle the Mag release as necessary to line up the holes as I applied pressure to the retaining pin. BTW, if you don't happen to have nylon tie wraps, I did it the first time with two bread ties. It did work better when I used the nylon tie wrap.

Thanks for all the help.

BRuff
ourbigbluehouse

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

I can't thank those of you enough for suggesting the modificationto the trigger spring. I did so with the help of a knowledgeable friend and it has made a tremendous difference. To the nay sayers about our favorite weaponand, its trigger, they obviously haven't tried the modified version. Thanks again you' made it a pleasure to shoot.
blackadderlxx

Post by blackadderlxx »

Me and my friend both got P64s a couple of weeks ago and just fixed the triggers per this fix today. What a difference. Thanks so much for the help!
parmedius

Post by parmedius »

Yea... what he (BlackAdder) said...

I'm the friend.

But in all seriousness, the spring change helped. We also ordered some replacement recoil springs, but have not tried them out at the range yet. I did try to get them on at home though and had some trouble. From what I could tell the replacement springs are not ground flat on the ends (i.e. the end of the original spring is tapered down so the end of the coil can lay flat; the new ones are not), this seems to cause the compressed hight of the spring to be just too big to get the slide on. I have wrestled with that slide until I was blue in the face but it would not go on. Has anyone had this same problem?? and if so how did you remedy it?

Thanks

-Justin
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

parmedius

You can chuck up a sand paper disk in a drill and sand the end of the springs flat

and always put the small end of the spring on the barrel first

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage