HOW TO DISASSEMBLY YOUR P-64

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Hi, I found something for You. :D
This pictures was made in late seventies in my military academy. This was a kind of board on the wall and it was titled "Rozkladanie pistoletu wz.64"(P-64 field striping). I found this board on the rubbish dump :-X and I save it for my collection :P
Pistol is from 1976, You can see date on the first photo. Soldier on the photo is an officer candidate(metal badge and white string on his rank), He is a buck sergeant. He worn uniform which was used from 1971 to 1989 called "moro"(this type of uniform was worn by all polish armed forces accept airborne and special forces).
On the first pictures we can see a "set"(According to manual - You must first, take the cleaning rod from holster and release magazine from weapon):

On the second pictures soldier inspected a barrel of his pistol:

Now We can start to strip a pistol.
First: - pull down trigger guard:

Than pull slide back and up:

Now we must take off the main spring:

And that's it we have P-64 striped for field cleaning ;)

Sorry for pictures quality but I take scans from original photos from seventies
Bartos

PS.
I want make this topic in "P-64 Instruction Manual" but I couldn't
Last edited by bartos061 on December 29th, 2005, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

Great post Bartos..thanks. What is the swivel piece on the end of the cleaning rod used for? Or is it just a handle?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

barto,

A great thanks for posting the photos!! I have downloaded them into a folder in my P-64 Main Folder. I will also print them and add to the Instruction Manual from the Forum. You certainly do provide us with information that is not available in the US! Thanks Again
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

nimble1,
This is a handle but there is a screwdriver on the one end.

abwehr,
No problem, That is a pleasure - try to help polish pistol fan.
bartos
Last edited by bartos061 on December 29th, 2005, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Hi bartos,
We appreciate background information like this post, and your experience with this weapon. I would like to know if the mainspring we are struggling with was the original spring, and did you and your comrades do anything to lessen the double action pull weight? We have wondered why it was so heavy to begin with.

You have seen many attempts by us on this board to change it. What was done in the past, and what would you recommend now for us? Perhaps we are barking up the wrong tree.

Coincidentally, both of my P-64's are unissued 1976, and have original grips. Both have the very heavy DA pull, and I have cut one coil, which helped some, and ordered the PPK springs, but think your input would be of most value.

Finally, I want to commend you on your excellent English. Perhaps some day you will tell us how you came to master our language so well.

Regards,
Stan
Last edited by b52stan on December 29th, 2005, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Hi Stan,
I want start from main spring and "DA pull". Maby it is funny but in Poland I don't hear about changing this spring(I know this from this forum) Also I don't hear about any tuning pistol for DA fire. I think that every polish military gunsmith who has experience with P-64 try to improve SA fire. That's because of our shooting competition. On this competition we shoot only "static" type(five shots with no time limit). :-/

P-64 has heavy "DA pull" because of our ammunition. First delivery of 9mm x 18 ammo was made for wz.63 submachine gun and our ammo has very hard primers. That is why the mainspring should be strong :'(

I thing that Your tuning of pistol(with ppk and others springs) is a very nice idea. :-*

Thank You Stan for praise, It was realy nice
bartos
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

bartos, many here wondered about the spring, and your answer has solved the mystery. Most ammo we now get here does not have the primer problem. We just found it hard to believe that it wasn't changed over the years.
Thank you again,
Stan
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

It is hard to understand "POLAND" when You don't live here ;D
Maby this is strange for You but now we have the same problem with 9mm x 19 ammo ::) This ammo was made for SMG too :-/ and of course ::) the primers are too hard ??? There is a lot of problems during pistol(wist94) shooting. >:(

bartos
jw

Post by jw »

bartos,

Can you tell us more about the ammunition this pistol was actually made to use?

The P-64 manual on this website refers to the 9X18 cartride with a 71 grain bullet and 1017 fps muzzle velocity. Is that correct?

I've often wondered if the problems that people have had with the P-64 were due to the currently available ammo being too hot for the gun. Especially the 115 grain loads.
herrmannek

Post by herrmannek »

I don't know how true story is(its secondhand one) but there is an anegdote That one of the designers was a heluva of man with great strong hands, so when someone asked him why the DA trigger pull of P-64 is so hard he took the gun dry fired few times and said he don't see problem at all :)
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

jw,
Sorry but I don't remember ammo data now. In my unit we use only 9mm x 19 ammo now so I forget some info :-[ But I'll check this info when I'll back to work at 12.01.06(I have holiday now).
jw

Post by jw »

Thanks. I look forward to seeing any information you can provide.

jw
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

I found some info in home.
Manufacture of 9mm x 18 mm makarow ammo was start in Poland in 1965. Firstly case was made of steel and painted on green colour. There was two type of FMJ bullets. lead in steel coat and lead with steel core and steel coat. Secondly case was made of bi-metal(steel and "Cu" and "Zn" I don't know this metals in English). Third variation - case and bullet coat are mad from brass(this ammo is manufacture from about 1990 - but I don't know exactly).
There was blank fire cartridge, two variations of dummy cartridges(one with polymer and second with metal bullet) and special police bullet(for cqb shooting). Ammo was in paper boxes 16 rounds in box.
Data:
Weight:
- cartridge(lead bullet) - 9g
- cartridge(lead+steel bullet) - 10g
- bullet(lead) - 5,85g
- bullet(lead+steel) - 6,16g
- powder 0,20 - 0,26g
Length:
- bullet - 11mm
- cartridge - 25mm
Start velocity - 315meters per second.

That is all data's I have now.
bartos
jw

Post by jw »

bartos,

This is very interesting.

Cu and Zn are the chemical symbols for copper and zinc, respectively.

I think it's interesting that the ammo comes in 16 round boxes. That enough for two Makarov magazines. But with the CZAK, you fill two magazines and you still have 4 rounds left over.

Converting the data you gave:

bullet(lead) - 5,85g = 90 grains

bullet(lead+steel) - 6,16g = 95 grains

Start velocity - 315meters per second = 1033 feet per second

I appreciate you taking the time to look this up and post it.

Dziekuje bardzo.

jw
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Been tryin' to tell folks that the gun is best with ammo in the 90-95 grain range. They keep buying the heavy for caliber, longer case length stuff.
Result is usually heavier recoil and probable feed problems.

Maybe the design data from Bartos will convince them.