Wolf recoil, and firing pin springs

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Sirrus_Rider

Wolf recoil, and firing pin springs

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

I noticed that Wolf springs sells an extra power firing pin spring along with the upgraded recoil spring. Is it really necessary to change out the firing pin spring when you upgrade the recoil spring? None of the YouTube videos regarding upgrading the recoil spring on the P-64 made mention of this.
When I received my upgraded recoil spring I didn't bother with it, but at the same time when I test fired the pistol it fired reliably so I'm wondering if it's really necessary.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Wolf recoil, and firing pin springs

Post by Ketchman »

The idea is that the extra power firing pin spring will keep the firing pin in the same cycle timing with the newer, higher poundage recoil spring because the original springs were all meant to keep the pistols components working in a consistent timing cycle. The idea is that when you change the recoil spring to a different weight spring then the recoil impulse changes the timing a small amount and the extra power firing pin spring is meant to keep the firing pin in the same timing cycle as the original did with the stock recoil spring so as to avoid timing malfunctions. That being said, I did not change mine and I have never read of anyone here having issues because they did not change their firing pin spring. My thoughts are that the timing change is small enough that it does not interfere with the pistol's operation. However, it will not hurt to swap them out, it is up to you.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Wolf recoil, and firing pin springs

Post by Curly1 »

If you don't see any drag marks on the ejected brass across the primer then you are good with the stock spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary