Best choice of Wolff replacement springs for an P-64?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jski

Best choice of Wolff replacement springs for an P-64?

Post by jski »

Just ordered a Polish P-64 and intend to order a complete set of Wolff replacement springs. Of those listed below, which would make the best choice?

Hammer Spring Ratings: Reduced Power...: 17, 18, 19 & 20 Lb.

RECOIL SPRINGS are available with load-rated specifications. Each load-rated recoil spring package includes an extra power firing pin spring.
Reduced Power...: None Available
Factory Standard.: 18 Lb.
Extra Power.........: 20 & 22 Lb.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Best choice of Wolff replacement springs for an P-64?

Post by Weasel640 »

As far as the Recoil Spring goes; I like the 22 Lb. spring.
***Something that you need to note when putting these springs on; The Wolff replacement springs frequently don't match the factory originals. The originals are flattened at the ends, where the replacements are not. Some people don't have a problem with this. But for a lot of us it will cause the Slide to bind with the Frame during dis/re-assembly. Refer to this thread to match the ends:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&#p39176
Do NOT try to put the slide on if it does not seem like it wants to!! It will be more difficult to remove.***

For the Hammer Spring tho; I suggest getting the "Hammer Spring Pak" that has one each of 18, 19, and 20 Lb. Hammer Springs.
Reason being is that there are some differences in everyone's P-64s. Some will function fine with the lower weighted springs. Others will experience malfunctions like light strikes or the Magazine dropping out on the second to last round. etc.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Jski.

Before ordering springs I would test fire it at the range you may like the stock spring set up.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Curly1 wrote: July 5th, 2018, 3:25 pm Welcome to the forum Jski.

Before ordering springs I would test fire it at the range you may like the stock spring set up.
No one likes the Hammer Spring, and you know it! Some people tolerate the Hammer Spring. There is a difference!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Whatever
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

I bought the 18 and 19 hammer and the 22 recoil. I installed the 22 recoil and noticed a slight, but recognizable, difference. I also installed the Iron Grips - which made quite a difference in felt recoil. However, my P64 has such a light, crisp, and perfect SA, that I didn't want to mess with it by changing the springs. I suspect if I did, I would try the 19 or buy a 20 and try that. Though, I fear even the 20 might lighten up the SA a bit too much since it's already bordering on too light.

I decided to tolerate the DA - which is certainly NOT crisp nor light. It's among the worst I've felt, likely around 29/30 (heavier than other ones I've tried) - but my SA is among the lighter of ones I tried. So I tolerate the DA being horrendous. Someday I WILL install the 19# hammer to see though, and try it out.

Hope that helps a bit.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
jski

Post by jski »

With the recoil from the fired case driving back both the recoil and hammer springs, I assume if I reduce the hammer spring weight, I need to increase the recoil spring weight?

So I comes down to what is the best combination of recoil and hammer spring weights?
jski

Post by jski »

Strangely (?), my P-64 has a very manageable DA trigger pull (but certainly suboptimal). The manufacturing date is 1967. Does that have anything to do with this?
jski

Post by jski »

Would the 22 lbs recoil spring help with its "snappiness"? Or would that cause other difficulties?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

jski wrote: July 21st, 2018, 1:47 am Strangely (?), my P-64 has a very manageable DA trigger pull (but certainly suboptimal). The manufacturing date is 1967. Does that have anything to do with this?
Unless you've owned it since day 1, it's reasonable to assume someone *might* have already replaced the springs.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

snailman153624 wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:45 am
jski wrote: July 21st, 2018, 1:47 am Strangely (?), my P-64 has a very manageable DA trigger pull (but certainly suboptimal). The manufacturing date is 1967. Does that have anything to do with this?
Unless you've owned it since day 1, it's reasonable to assume someone *might* have already replaced the springs.
+ 1 on some one could have replaced the springs, or done work to the spring. Keep in mind these are Military Surplus.

Yes the 22lb Recoil Spring will reduce the snappiness. How much is largely subjective. Many will also add grip sleeves, or replace the grips all together to reduce the felt recoil as well.
Weasel