Can't get slide on with Wolff recoil springs

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
Esquilax

Can't get slide on with Wolff recoil springs

Post by Esquilax »

Hi, I just joined. I did a search, but didn't find a definitive answer.

I got the recoil pack from Wolff. Whether trying the 20 or 22 pound recoil spring (one that goes around the barrel), I cannot get the slide back on. I can pull it back all the way and down (with more effort than the original spring), but instead of returning straight forward the back end flips up slightly and the entire thing doesn't get seated.

I found some very old discussion that the spring needs to be modified, is that still the case? This website (main website, not forum) just says that people were modding HK P7 springs before Wolff came out with the P64 specific.

Also, I put the 18 pound hammer spring on, and the new firing pin spring. Assuming I can get either recoil spring to work, what should I look for to see which is better?
snailman153624

Re: Can't get slide on with Wolff recoil springs

Post by snailman153624 »

Are you sure you have the trigger guard pulled out of the way?

Also, do you have the recoil spring flipped the right way? The narrow end goes over the barrel by the breech.
Esquilax

Post by Esquilax »

Yes and yes! Will try to flip it just in case I'm looking at the width wrong. I tried it with the original spring and it works fine.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum and yes I would modify the spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Esquilax

Post by Esquilax »

Thanks. Is there a guide anywhere, or how much? A few mm, or a whole rotation of the coil?
I will contact Wolff too and post what they say.
Esquilax

Post by Esquilax »

Still waiting to hear back. I did some more searching and found this thread here, with helpful pics, though again it is from 7.5 years ago. But I assume not much has changed?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3447&p=39176&#p39176
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Is the muzzle end of the spring round or flat? It needs to be flat as the heavier springs seem to be of a mite thicker diameter wire and are therefore a bit longer. Flattening it with a piece of sandpaper will do the trick.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Esquilax wrote: June 27th, 2018, 6:43 pm Still waiting to hear back. I did some more searching and found this thread here, with helpful pics, though again it is from 7.5 years ago. But I assume not much has changed?

Yes you can go with that thread.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Esquilax wrote: June 27th, 2018, 6:43 pm Still waiting to hear back. I did some more searching and found this thread here, with helpful pics, though again it is from 7.5 years ago. But I assume not much has changed?

Like Curly said, that thread is a good one to follow. This is still a common problem, not sure why no one pointed you at it sooner. As you can see from previous discussion; if your Slide doesn't want to got on with the Wolff spring installed do NOT force it. It will be a pain to remove. You'll need to fix the ends of the springs in the manner shown in that thread.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Esquilax

Post by Esquilax »

Bump of sorts.

Filed it down a lot. Looks similar to the original except overall length. I will keep at it. But should it all of a sudden "click" into place when flat enough? Still hasn't changed from when it is fresh; slide goes back all the way then pops up.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Make sure your slide stop lever isn't sticking out on the left side. If it is not flush to the frame it will hang up the slide.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Esquilax

Post by Esquilax »

Damn, that might've been it, sticking out just a hair. Thank you sir, seems to work, now I'll have to go shoot it. What puzzled me though is that I could switch to the original spring and it would go on easy, even with the stop sticking out.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

When I put the slide back on using my left hand I hold the frame horizontal to the floor and let gravity hold the slide stop against the frame than put the slide on.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary