I just bought a broken P64...

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
GuitarmanNick
Member
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 10:04 am
Location: Maryland

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by GuitarmanNick » December 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

^^^^^ What Manicmechanic said. Always use lubricants that will perform at extremes in any weapon that may be relied upon for defensive purposes. On polymer framed weapons, make sure the lube chosen is safe for use on polymers.

austinjoe13
Junior member
Posts: 20
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by austinjoe13 » January 1st, 2020, 7:08 pm

I usually use Lucas gun oil. I've had good luck with it on my other guns.

After getting everything cleaned out, the disconnector still got stuck. I think this will just be a range toy. I do enjoy shooting it. The new mag works well.

austinjoe13
Junior member
Posts: 20
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by austinjoe13 » April 11th, 2020, 9:44 am

I took this to the range on a warm day a week or so ago, and every shot did not reset the trigger. The trigger bar is straight. I just ordered Norm's trigger spring to try in it. I'm hoping this works. I really like the gun, but I am beyond frustrated with it, too.

austinjoe13
Junior member
Posts: 20
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by austinjoe13 » May 3rd, 2020, 2:40 pm

Update after Norm's spring install: It works! I got through two mags without any issues.

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 1121
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 4:36 pm
Location: Wyoming, USA

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Ketchman » May 3rd, 2020, 3:47 pm

excellent! Always happy to hear of the return to full health of a P64.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.

User avatar
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 2486
Joined: September 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Curly1 » May 3rd, 2020, 7:05 pm

I luv happy endings!
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary

jemsj4
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: November 10th, 2011, 2:33 am
Location: SW Florida

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by jemsj4 » June 11th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Glad to hear you got it working! Nothing like the frustrations & satisfactions of getting a clunker going. I bought a clunker & parts to piece together a $125 P64. Now I also have a few spare parts. Welcome to the P64 club!

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member
Posts: 1121
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 4:36 pm
Location: Wyoming, USA

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Ketchman » June 11th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Got any before and afters on that $125 parts P64? Would love to see them.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.

GuitarmanNick
Member
Member
Posts: 170
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 10:04 am
Location: Maryland

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by GuitarmanNick » June 11th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Glad you got it back in working order.

austinjoe13
Junior member
Posts: 20
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by austinjoe13 » June 14th, 2020, 9:27 am

My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

There is one last issue I'm having... When I flip the safety off, the trigger bar doesn't always lift for a DA pull. At this point, I think I'll just have to polish the contact points and shave the channel in the grip out a little bit. I'll be ordering more 9x18, anyways.


I'd also be interested in seeing that parts gun you brought back to life.

User avatar
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter
Posts: 668
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Location: Nothing permanent.

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Weasel640 » June 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm

austinjoe13 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:27 am
My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

There is one last issue I'm having... When I flip the safety off, the trigger bar doesn't always lift for a DA pull. At this point, I think I'll just have to polish the contact points and shave the channel in the grip out a little bit. I'll be ordering more 9x18, anyways.


I'd also be interested in seeing that parts gun you brought back to life.
Before all that, double check the Trigger Spring is working properly. That sounds more like a spring issue, as the Trigger Spring should be lifting the Trigger Bar into correct placement. I think Norm still has Trigger Springs here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.

austinjoe13
Junior member
Posts: 20
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by austinjoe13 » June 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Weasel640 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm
austinjoe13 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:27 am
My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

There is one last issue I'm having... When I flip the safety off, the trigger bar doesn't always lift for a DA pull. At this point, I think I'll just have to polish the contact points and shave the channel in the grip out a little bit. I'll be ordering more 9x18, anyways.


I'd also be interested in seeing that parts gun you brought back to life.
Before all that, double check the Trigger Spring is working properly. That sounds more like a spring issue, as the Trigger Spring should be lifting the Trigger Bar into correct placement. I think Norm still has Trigger Springs here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
Norm's spring has already been purchased and installed, as I posted above.

User avatar
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter
Posts: 668
Joined: March 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Location: Nothing permanent.

Re: I just bought a broken P64...

Post by Weasel640 » June 15th, 2020, 7:32 am

austinjoe13 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Weasel640 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 2:12 pm
austinjoe13 wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:27 am
My last range trip with this gun was fun! I was hitting steel fairly regularly--even in DA!

There is one last issue I'm having... When I flip the safety off, the trigger bar doesn't always lift for a DA pull. At this point, I think I'll just have to polish the contact points and shave the channel in the grip out a little bit. I'll be ordering more 9x18, anyways.


I'd also be interested in seeing that parts gun you brought back to life.
Before all that, double check the Trigger Spring is working properly. That sounds more like a spring issue, as the Trigger Spring should be lifting the Trigger Bar into correct placement. I think Norm still has Trigger Springs here: http://www.p64resource.com/goods.php
Norm's spring has already been purchased and installed, as I posted above.
Try the Trigger with the Slide off, if it functions 100% like that, it may be that you Disconnector needs adjusting/fitting. In some cases the Disconnector has to much material and will prevent the Trigger Bar from working properly.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.

Post Reply