Failures to feed

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
LovingSensei

Failures to feed

Post by LovingSensei »

Hey guys! I got to shoot my P64 today and I noticed it had a few failures to feed. :/ It was made in 1974 and I replaced the recoil spring with a 22 pound recoil spring and I also replaced the firing pin spring. Oddly enough, the failures seemed erratic... I only have two magazines that came with the gun. I noticed I was able to fire without fail a few times when the magazines were loaded with 3-5 rounds. I was using Red Army Standard elite ammunition. The gun has a polished feed ramp done by my local gunsmith so it can't be that the feed ramp is not working properly. The gunsmith also removed cosmoline using mineral spirits. Is there a breaking in period for these guns? Maybe it just hasn't been fired in a while. Maybe the 22 pound spring was too heavy for the ammunition I was using?
Last edited by LovingSensei on September 4th, 2016, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Failures to feed

Post by Curly1 »

Try a different brand of ammo.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Also, if the Gun was filled with Cosmoline, were the mags cleaned out thoroughly as well? If not you may want to clean them too.

Then figure out a way to mark/identify each mag. Next time if you do have the problem again, take not of what mag you were using.

What hammer spring was put in? Was the Firing Pin Spring also changed with the Recoil Spring?

Lastly out of curiosity, I'm assuming the answer is no. But were you able to fire it in it's original configuration? Or did you go straight to the upgraded springs? Do you still have any of the original springs to try?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I have to keep mine well indicated. If the slide rails are dry it will not go into battery easily.
Once a month I lube it up with a little Froglube.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I just routinely load five rounds. No FTF since I started doing that.after about 700 rounds. I mean, my P64 is 50 +years old. I don't expect perfection.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

Weasel640 wrote:Also, if the Gun was filled with Cosmoline, were the mags cleaned out thoroughly as well? If not you may want to clean them too.

Then figure out a way to mark/identify each mag. Next time if you do have the problem again, take not of what mag you were using.

What hammer spring was put in? Was the Firing Pin Spring also changed with the Recoil Spring?

Lastly out of curiosity, I'm assuming the answer is no. But were you able to fire it in it's original configuration? Or did you go straight to the upgraded springs? Do you still have any of the original springs to try?
I have not cleaned the mags. Are there any tutorials on how to?

I have not changed the hammer spring. Only the firing pin and recoil spring and I will be testing a lighter spring to see if the ammo was weak and not cycling the slide all the way back.

I did not fire it in its original configuration due to the fact I've heard the recoil is violent and the springs seemed somewhat worn anyway. I have the original springs and may try them next time I go to the range.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

chestertnted wrote:I have to keep mine well indicated. If the slide rails are dry it will not go into battery easily.
Once a month I lube it up with a little Froglube.

That may have been it too. I did not lube it before I shot it. It had just been received from my gunsmith.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

BeoBill wrote:I just routinely load five rounds. No FTF since I started doing that.after about 700 rounds. I mean, my P64 is 50 +years old. I don't expect perfection.
Makes sense. I may try to use only 5 rounds in the mag and see if that works. Definitely trying different ammo too. I really want to load six though.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC mine. I was concerned at the range when I had to tap it into battery. Experimented, now it is 100℅ reliable is lubed up regularly

TED
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

chestertnted wrote:I EDC mine. I was concerned at the range when I had to tap it into battery. Experimented, now it is 100℅ reliable is lubed up regularly

TED
Interesting. Could be a lube issue... Maybe it's just been a while since it was fired. Lol. I noticed the failures seemed to lessen the more rounds I shot out of it.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

LovingSensei wrote:I have not cleaned the mags. Are there any tutorials on how to?

I have not changed the hammer spring. Only the firing pin and recoil spring and I will be testing a lighter spring to see if the ammo was weak and not cycling the slide all the way back.

I did not fire it in its original configuration due to the fact I've heard the recoil is violent and the springs seemed somewhat worn anyway. I have the original springs and may try them next time I go to the range.
The P-64 Magazine come apart similar to any other Magazine. Follow the steps in this Manual on pages 9-10.:
http://p64resource.com/board/P64Manual.pdf

I thought you had said that you changed the Hammer Spring. My mistake.

The recoil is not that bad. You should be able to fire it with the original spring fine.

Also next time you take it out. Please describe the Failure To Feed more in depth. There are many different feeding issues depending on what is going on could point toward the specific problem. I.E. does the brass from the previous round extract, does it stove pipe, etc.?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

LovingSensei wrote:
BeoBill wrote:I just routinely load five rounds. No FTF since I started doing that.after about 700 rounds. I mean, my P64 is 50 +years old. I don't expect perfection.
Makes sense. I may try to use only 5 rounds in the mag and see if that works. Definitely trying different ammo too. I really want to load six though.
I've used Wolf, Hornady, S&B, Underwood, Red Army Standard Elite and the Academy house brand as well as my own reloads. All give no problems when I load five, but stovepipe like clockwork when I load six. It's especially frequent with an unmodified Keep Shooting mag - they're junk, IMO.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

Weasel640 wrote:
LovingSensei wrote:I have not cleaned the mags. Are there any tutorials on how to?

The P-64 Magazine come apart similar to any other Magazine. Follow the steps in this Manual on pages 9-10.:
http://p64resource.com/board/P64Manual.pdf

I thought you had said that you changed the Hammer Spring. My mistake.

The recoil is not that bad. You should be able to fire it with the original spring fine.

Also next time you take it out. Please describe the Failure To Feed more in depth. There are many different feeding issues depending on what is going on could point toward the specific problem. I.E. does the brass from the previous round extract, does it stove pipe, etc.?
The round just doesn't seem to be pushed in all the way.
LovingSensei

Post by LovingSensei »

BeoBill wrote:
LovingSensei wrote:
I've used Wolf, Hornady, S&B, Underwood, Red Army Standard Elite and the Academy house brand as well as my own reloads. All give no problems when I load five, but stovepipe like clockwork when I load six. It's especially frequent with an unmodified Keep Shooting mag - they're junk, IMO.
Yeah that may be it. I'm gonna test with only 5 rounds in each mag and see if that solves the issue. If it does. I will definitely clean the mags and try six again. I just ordered two keep shooting mags. I hope I didn't waste my money!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

LovingSensei wrote:The round just doesn't seem to be pushed in all the way.
Are they the older mags or new mags? It will still be important to note what mag is giving you the issue, or if it is both.
LovingSensei wrote:Yeah that may be it. I'm gonna test with only 5 rounds in each mag and see if that solves the issue. If it does. I will definitely clean the mags and try six again. I just ordered two keep shooting mags. I hope I didn't waste my money!
They will most likely wear out fairly quickly. The early Keep Shooting Mags were garbage. The more recent one have gotten mixed reviews and seem to me the luck of the draw. Figure out your issue before using them or you may have more issues from them.

Oh and you know you can quote multiple people in one reply?
Weasel