Max rated chamber pressure?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
handsmahoney

Max rated chamber pressure?

Post by handsmahoney »

I'm looking around and trying to wrap my head around all the different ammo choices I am looking at for HD/EDC, and looking at a few loads such as buffalo bore, which tend to run hot from what I've read, I was hoping someone knew what the max rated pressure is on a P-64.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Max rated chamber pressure?

Post by robhic »

I don't know the pressure rating, but keep in mind these are 40+ year old guns. High pressure (+P) type ammo like is available today wasn't back then. I, personally, would be VERY careful with that hot ammo. And you're right, Buffalo Bore (or Underwood, etc.) might be taxing on the limits of these pistols. Hornady makes a couple of rounds - the FTX w/plug in cavity for better penetration and the XTP which is just the plain HP bullet. Both at 94-95gr standard pressure in brass casings. That's what I use. I'd guess other name manufacturers have some, too, but I like the Hornady so have stuck with it so far. Someone else may give you more/better info....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

As and FYI a forum member over on the Markov forum put together ammo specs for you viewing pleasure.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ition-Data
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
handsmahoney

Post by handsmahoney »

Excellent. Thanks Curly.

And rob, much appreciated.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

handsmahoney wrote:Excellent. Thanks Curly.

And rob, much appreciated.
No problemo! I just remember with my Ruger LCP +P ammo is NOT recommended. Someone I thought knew his stuff said some +P would be OK. Maybe he was wrong or maybe our ideas of what "some" meant quantity-wise differed significantly. But after a couple of mags of +P ammo, the head of the take-down pin blew off (and I couldn't get it out :( ) and the end/edge of the extractor chipped off, too. So, if +P or any extra hot ammo isn't recommended (and I'd venture to say a 40 yr old gun would qualify...) by the manufacturer - I don't use it. Lesson learned.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke