How much play is in your disconnector?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
RuthLessPirate

How much play is in your disconnector?

Post by RuthLessPirate »

Just got my first P64 from AIM - a 1968 Grade 1 model. It's in great shape cosmetically but has a few functional issues. The first I'd like to fix is that it will not operate in DA with a round chambered. The trigger is disconnected as if it's in safe. I can dry fire it DA all day with an empty chamber but once there's a round in I have to pull the hammer back manually or leave it back after racking the slide. I've noticed my disconnector has a good bit of wiggle room side to side and a little front to back and I'm wondering if that could be the issue or if it's normal. Don't know why that would depend on a round being chambered or not though.

Other problems: sometimes the hammer does not stay back after firing and the mag gets stuck about 50% of the time after firing it empty. The mag issue probably has something to do with the slide lock.

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: How much play is in your disconnector?

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure the slide is going into full battery with a round in the chamber?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
RuthLessPirate

Post by RuthLessPirate »

I think so, it wouldn't be able to fire after manually pulling the hammer back if it wasn't in full battery right? I've got some snap caps on the way so I can diagnose this safely.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes it would not fire if not in battery.
Last edited by Curly1 on September 27th, 2015, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Sounds like you might want to consider having AIM exchanging it with one that is functioning correctly.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

You should not have this problem. Contact the seller and try to get a different one. Sorry for the trouble you are having, but the gun is worth it.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 contact AIM and see what they will do for you.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

P-64 is my EDC for years. Spare mag, it is awesome. Comfortable!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
RuthLessPirate

Post by RuthLessPirate »

Update! I got my replacement from AIM today - another 1968 - and went to the range. Put 150 rounds through it without the slightest hiccup. It even feeds fine from the extra mag with longer fins. Proof:
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good deal and yea that looks like a 150 round session with a p64 :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

P-64 hand. 200 rounds!Image

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
RuthLessPirate

Post by RuthLessPirate »

Jesus Christ chester, that's some perseverance. I've learned to hold it low and to tuck my thumb-web into the grip before it got that bad though!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IMO, perseverance yes, but over kill for accuracy practice. This gun is punishing to say the least and what are you accomplishing after XXX amount of rounds except pain and ammo.

In a real life citizen handgun scenario you would not be carrying that amount of rounds or still be in the situation to begin with w/o the cavalry arriving in most cases. Practice should be what can you do with what you would be carrying at the time, 2 - 4 mags in reality. After that you are already tuned up vs a SHTF situation

I have always been of the opinion that what your results are going to be is what you can do in the first 2 mags from a cold start at the range or in the world and after that hopefully you will be the last man standing if it comes to that.

Now that does not include blasting off copious amounts of ammo just for the fun of it cause you can. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

The wear & tear on my dainty hands :mrgreen: is the main reason I was first intrigued by the grip Russ is molding and trying out. I am firmly convinced that the convergence of the original grip seams along the back strap and top form a 'T' if you look at it. This seam rubbed the web of my hand causing slight blood, much discomfort. Problem was sometimes it took 1 magazine sometimes 5. Bothered me so I took to wearing one fingerless glove when shooting my P64s. Worked like a charm. But if ever (God forbid!) I need to use the gun in SD, there's no way I'll get a glove on! :shock: So the seamless aspect of these molded grips seemed promising.

First ver3 grip took around 6-8 mags to do damage. MUCH better but still no cigar. Still have to give ver4 a try (probably Thursday) and hoping any changes made will fix the issue. But, as Curly says above, realistically in a real-world defensive situation you (hopefully!!!) won't be firing 30-40 shots. So pulling the pistol, getting off a mag or 2 and then going to the glove for further shooting at the range would be a good thing. We'll see ....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

I imagine in a firefight the last thing I'd be concerned with would be the web of my shootin' hand being sore.
Last edited by SkippySanchez on October 20th, 2015, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.